1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help from 75 RI Jazz owners please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony Gray, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    What's your take on the bass? I've got a 62 RI that is my number 1, is this one that different? If I get one, I'll have to buy it online, so any observations would be appreciated.Thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The '75 is all about the blocks and binding, and pick up spacing. Great bass.

3. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    do you think it's $1000 better than the MIM70's Jazz, which also has those features?

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've had a '75 Reissue since 2000. It's a very nice bass. Quality workmanship, great tone, and great looks. As to whether it's worth the price difference compared to the MIM, you'd have to compare and decide for yourself. I will tell you that I've never regretted getting mine. It was my main workhorse for about 6 or 7 years, and always got a lot of compliments.

There are a lot of really nice basses out there. This is one of them, IMHO.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, the price difference is totally on you. To me, yes, it's worth the extra dough for the better parts, fit and finish.

6. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    I have a CIJ 75.. bought her in the start of 06.. havent been impressed by many basses since.. i played a MIA version throu the same amp andi didnt notice much difference..which i found annoying..but also my gain.. and the problem being too when i bought it 18 i think i was still in school and it cost 700euro about $1000 bucks from japan and the MIA in a shop here was 2400 so well ove $3000.. go figure.. i love mine.. great bass.. i use it with a sansamp all the time.. really growls.. recently i ordered QP's Schaller harware (all black) and a J-retro (black as well) to really give her balls... ill get back to you on it.. MIA's can be bought second hand in the US for NOTHING!! im just unlucky where i live.. thou my CIJ is a keeper..

7. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I got my MIA'75RI back in 2000 when they were about $400-$500 cheaper than now. It's a great bass. The '70's spacing combined with the ash body gives a bit more 'snap' to the tone IMO. Some Fenders seem to get knocked for QC issues, but at least on my particular bass, the workmanship is top notch. The only niggle I have is that the fingerboard on the one I got shipped to me (special order) is a bit lighter colored than I would've liked.

Attached Files:

8. The MIM may have a 4-bolt neck instead of the 3-bolt, which is better anyway.

9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i dont think theres a MIM 75 ri??? :confused: i may be wrong but i am pretty certain there isnt... and im confused to why you say 4 is better then 3?? is it just down to tension or another reason??

10. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    The MIM "70's Jazz Bass" combines several functional and cosmetic aspects of Jazz's built in the '70's. While I'm no expert, the alder body and 4 bolt neck would seem to be pre-'75 traits, while the bridge pickup position and bullet truss rod adjustment would be post '75. The blocks and binding are your main '70's cosmetic marker, of course.

I've tried a couple of these in-store, and have seriously wondered whether another Jazz might fit in the stable! :D

11. T'CharleS

T'CharleS

Jul 6, 2008
    France
    Body is slightly different, binding quality is not comparable, sound is clearly not as good... this being said the the 4-bolt is a nice feature, the neck feels exactly the same as my 75RI and overall I don't think a pickup upgrade justifies the difference in price. But then again I wouldn't trade my own 75RI for the MIM (not to mention mine is ash/maple).

But the MIM definitely is a good axe with lots of personality which would mainly need good pickups to be awesome.

12. More stable neck with 4 bolts.

13. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

Well yeah in theory ...

I had an original 1975 4 bolt (yes they made a few) and the neck on it was no more stable than my 3 bolt original 76. Really depends on the bass ...

Still my personal preference is the early 70s Alder body basses, 70s spacing, with blocks on a maple neck.

Here is my original Lake Placid Blue 73 I like the punch of the maple and 70s spacing with the alder it adds a bit of warmth too.

73body1.

;) ... Guess that is why the Geddy is so popular

14. I absolutely do.....but that's me....

One of the sweetest sounding and playing basses I have ever owned......but again, that's me...

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've the Fender Japan version. It sings.

16. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I have owned many Jazz's from MIM to MIA to HW1 to Deluxe's. I recently picked up a 1995 MIJ 75 RI, Ash, Rosewood, BadAss2 and Black PG.

l_7424c1f48a0392fd1e8d1c567fdeb58c.

Cost me $600 plus the $100 for the PG and Bridge. Absolute best bass I have ever owned. It is my number one.

Get one!:hyper:

17. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I used to own a MIJ and was just about to buy a American Vintage 75, if I did not already have a MIA jazz I would in a second. Only reason I did not is my current jazz is a monster in weight and the 75ri seemed noticeably heavier then the MIA jazzes I had to compare.

kenny, that bass is awesome! I was thinking ash/maple and 70s spacing for my custom parts bass since I already have a alder/maple MIA jazz but your description "I like the punch of the maple and 70s spacing with the alder it adds a bit of warmth too." sounds great!

18. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I have a MIJ 75' RI and I love it. The pickups are great and the spacing is also very comfortable for me...this is gonna be with me for a while...

000_0104.

19. copacetic

copacetic

May 23, 2007
    I have a 71 Jazz and it is still my favorite solid body (even above my Celinders) and a '75 w/maple neck and blocks. I have a friend who bought a CIJ or MIM Fender w/ blocks and noticed that after several years of hard slapping the blocks started wearing down and revealing the meple fingerboard underneath! I was surprised by this that they were not actually block inlays but painted blocks. A small point but notable. This also definitly demonstrates the cost factor difference.

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    One other thing to keep in mind about the MIJ/CIJ 75 RI's is they don't have the true 70's pickup spacing either. They'll sound slightly different. A little thicker/warmer, and not quiet as biting or aggressive.

Currently, only the MIA RI's and Geddys have the correct spacing.