1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help from 75 RI Jazz owners please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony Gray, Sep 21, 2008.

1. If you decide to look for a used one, my US 75RI in the Ash/Maple configuration if for sale on the Indianapolis Craig's List. PM me if you are interested. I would prefer to sell it locally though.

John

2. the last time i was at sam ash, i played the '75 RI and the MM signature, and they had pretty much the same tone (wich makes sence see as the MM signature is modeled after marcus' '70's j-bass), and i personally liked the '75 RI more. maybe its because im not a fan of signature anythings, or maybe i just liked the vibe :smug:
    basically, if you're going for the marcus miller-kinda sound, just get the '75 RI and save a couple hundred bucks

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Oh yeah, the MM also has true 70's spacing. Forgot about that one. :)

4. right, silly me :)

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ??? Sounds like you think I corrected you, but I didn't.

In fact, I thought you made a great point, because I've never liked the preamp or massive pickguard in the MM sig. I've always thought the MIA 75 RI was a better deal just like you said. :)

6. you didn't? no wonder i was confused! i thought you were but it didn't really make sense to me. ah well, misunderstandings happen i guess :meh:

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Exactly, no I wasn't correcting you... just adding to my previous reply about which models had correct 70's spacing... I just replied to your post because you brought up the MM and I'd forgotten about it. :)

Anyhoo... onward. :)

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Y'know, this (neck stability) was a concern of mine when I bought my '75 Reissue in 2000. I've played it a lot over the past 8 years, and it's never been an issue. I suppose if you were using it as a weapon, it would be better to have 4-bolts ;) , but normal usage has never been a problem for me. It's a well-made bass either way.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

Mine is a 91 / 92, MIJ and yeah - I've played a 70's classic and while it was good for a MIM maybe the best stock, off the shelf, Guitar Center setup MIM I've played - it wasn't in the same league as the MIJ.

The MIJ rock's, the MIM was adequate.

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Neck stability was primarily an issue with wood selection back in the 70's. That problem is much less typical, maybe even rare, these days. IMHO, buy with no concern. OTOH, if you're shopping for a vintage instrument, be very ware.