1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help from others that have gotten whiplash...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I got rear ended in a car accident 2 days ago and got minor (stage 2 whiplash) plenty of stiffness in the neck and back. I start physio and massage next week.

The problem. I picked up my G and L which weighs around 9 lbs and after practicing for around 1/2 hour it really started to hurt my shoulders.

Do you think this will pass with treatment, or should I start looking at lighter weight basses and trade of my G and L and Jazz,

2. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Keep the G&L, the neck/back issues should pass with time & therapy. You can buy a lightweight cheapo bass to play while you heal, & sell it when you recover.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Also consider acupuncture. Both my wife and I received treatment many times due to various injuries-auto and otherwise. See how the physio goes. If it hurts too much, ask about acupuncture until enough pain has resided to continue physio.

4. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    You could just play sitting down until you recover.

Or you could buy one of those paulownia bodies from GFS and throw all your jazz parts on it as a sort of temporary deal

5. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Last summer I was in a head-on collision caused by a third party. Very fortunate that no-one got killed. I spent from August thru April seeing doctors, Physical Therapists/ Massage Therapists and everything in between. After a couple minor procedures and the Therapy I'm about as good as I'm gonna get and most days I feel fine, but the day after gigs my neck and back will let me know all about it. Get to the doctor and let them do their thing. I wouldn't start changing gear just yet, but I do like the idea of a lighter bass for temporary use. I had recently put together a frankenbass and it became my main player for a while because it only weighs 7.5 pounds.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Consider massage therapy. I went twice a week (including acupuncture) for about 6 months then once a week for about 5 months to get rid off deep muscle pain. I then went for 6 months chiropractic to get rid of some pain deep in my left lower back that only hurt when I moved.

16 months all totaled. I suggest that all you suffers look into it! Saved my life.

Now it's 6 years later and I'm going to be starting again due to all muscles in pain and my left lower back again.

7. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    He is starting me on 2 chiropractic sessions per week and then one massage per week. I am not that bad (No Collar - Thank God). But if I sit too long or lift any thing like my heavier guitars for too long then I really feel it. I tried a SR 500 yesterday for over 20 min and there was no pain or pressure. I wonder if I should trade in my G and L tribute on it or just hold tough. If I am always going to have pain when I strap it on then it is gone. But If I will recover then I will be patient and not play that much until I can do so without pain.

8. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I considered something like this when I had some back pain a few years ago. I cheaped out and opted to sit while playing until I healed, so I can't give a review.

9. Li'l D

Li'l D

Apr 15, 2009
    Hi Strat Hater the Epiphone Toby is for you, light in weight, big on tone

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    And CHEAP!!!

Do you have one? Can you post a review? I played one in Calgary for around 10 min and thought it was good. I do have the white one on order, and may also get the Walnut stained with the preamp if I like the other one

Disreguard the request, I just saw your review. Which color did you go with? Got any pics?

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The way it was explained to me several years ago is this:

Whiplash is basically like a sprain, except you're dealing with your neck area which is harder to isolate than an ankle or wrist. With proper treatment and time you should be back up and running in a few weeks. One thing that's helped me through various back and neck issues is being mindful of my body position when playing. It's hard to monitor, but if you try to keep your legs shoulder width apart, good posture, try to relax the shoulders and neck and good deep breathing it can really help you get over the hump.

Good luck with your situation. When I was rear ended two years ago it took a while to feel comfortable driving in traffic and stopping at stop signs and lights. Three days after it happened I was backed into a parking spot on a hot day, it was about the only shady spot. A lady pulled into the adjacent spot behind me and in trying to get as far into the shade as possible(she had a dog in the car) hit the back of my car. It took all the restraint I could muster not to completely go ape **** on her.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You know you have an injury, and on day ONE you start thinking about ditching your primary bass for a lighter one?

Good grief. Come back in two weeks and ask this question if it's still bothering you.

Meanwhile, relax. Get better. Chill. You have an injury. Go easy on i.

13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, what he said.
    Way too soon to tell anything, he'll you may not have even felt all the pain yet that you may feel.

Sometimes after an accident the aches and pains can be very delayed. I'd imagine your pains while playing is your bodies way of telling you something. Maybe play sitting down or not at all.

14. Li'l D

Li'l D

Apr 15, 2009
    Hi Strat Hater
    I bought the trans red Deluxe with the preamplifier
    I will post some pics later.
    Hope to get some live shots soon with it.
    I think the white one looks awesome on the website.
    That walnut one looks very impressive and expressive as well.
    I am sure that you will find playing the Toby will satisfy you.
    The weight ,comfort and features.
    I will give you a complete run down next weekend after the gig.

15. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I am just feeling it out. Yes like I said in the thread I ordered an Epi Toby. But I am not going to get rid of my G&L for it. I was also considering getting a Ibanez SR 500 which I was considering trading the G&L in on. I love the feel of the neck on the SR 500, but love the sound of the G&L. :meh:

It also takes forever to receive a bass here after it is ordered. So they already have the SR500 in stock, if I wait I might have to wait a couple of months to get one ordered and received. I am also new to this whole whiplash thing and I don't know if I will make a full recovery or not, so hence the kicking of tires (so to speak)

16. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Dont freak out just yet. It hasnt even been a week since the accident. DONT make a rash decision to drop the G&L. Heck, maybe even take a week or so off from playing entirely. If you're in a gigging band and have some stuff coming up, you might want to tell your bandmates to line up a sub for you. for the next coupla weeks.
    If not, then put the bass playing on the back burner and focus on getting well for your day job.

Soft-tissue injuries like whiplash are hard to predict. Some people are fine in a week or 2, others need a few months and others still never completely "recover". Everyone's body heals differently and everyone has different tolerances for pain. What you find acceptable might have me cowering in a corner begging for percocet or vice versa.
    If your bass is NOT your source of income, dont sweat it. You'll have plenty of time to figure things out and see what happens.

In the meantime though, like others said- find yourself a really lightweight beater for the short term. But dont do anything impulsive and get rid of what you have already (assuming you LIKE what you have already).

17. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Neck and back injuries can be tricky. I lived with problems from high school for about 30 years before I did a couple years of chiropractic adjustments. It took that long to straighten out, since my spine has been pounded over and over again and never really attended to before that. It is fine now, so it can be done. None of it ever stopped me from doing anything, since you do get used to it.

18. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Yeah I can be impulsive, and that scares me. Thank god this is Sunday and the stores are closed, and I am working all week. This will subdue the impulsiveness. I am also looking forward to the Toby, that might be good enough for now.

BTW I am not in any bands or anything right now, so atlest I don't have that complication. Though I am considering playing at church, to get me back in front of an audience again.

Funny thing is I have not even once considered getting rid of my amp that I could not lift by myself even before the accident hmmm!!!

19. Li'l D

Li'l D

Apr 15, 2009
    My back up rig Markbass SA450 & GK neo 410 light in weight effective in power and tone

20. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I 'm thinking about a Line 6 Low Down 110 for this church thing and small jams. I can't believe how good it sounds for such a small package