1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help from RW P or 50s Classic P owners!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jfh2424, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Hi, guys, I own a RW P that I like a lot. However, I lost the nut that goes on the washer where you plug the cord in the bass. So I have been everywhere trying to get this %$&* nut to no avail. I have the washer, but no nut.

As of right now, I can't play the P because I can't plug in the cord.

Do you guys know where these things can be bought? Or the dimensions of the actual nut? Or anywhere I can turn to?

Thanks a million! Here's a couple of pics of the P (when it had the nut!)

John

Attached Files:

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I guess it might look weird (or cool), but take your bass to the hardware store and try some nuts on for size. I doubt that size nut is very rare.

3. or just goto your local shop and ask. No doubt they have a ton. If not buy a new jack for a few dollars and just take the nut off.

4. I've been to a pile of hardware stores to no avail. They just don't carry this particular nut, it seems.

I hadn't thought of taking it to a luthier though. You guys figure they have nuts like this?

As far as buying a whole new jack, I hadn't thought of that either. I guess the luthier would be the place too.

I hesitate to do the luthier route because the guys here are really good, but they hang on to the bass for a while. And I don't want to give them the bass for three weeks for a stupid little nut.

John

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I bet you could just go in and ask for one and put it on yourself - they might not even charge you. I know my guys wouldn't. They probably have a drawer of them for replacing input jacks - which is a very common procedure

6. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Any music store should be able to help you out.

7. Cree

Cree

May 24, 2004
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Follow the advice and go to a music store and see if they have some in a drawer somewhere. If not, buy a new 1/4 jack at the music store or go to Radio Shack and buy one.

If you have an extra amp sitting around, you can steal the nut off of the amp's input jack.

8. radio shack would be a great place to look. No idea if those exist in canada

9. So I did a bunch of music stores and finally found the right nut. Problem solved!

Other RW/Classic owners, don't lose this piece because it is not standard. I literally had to go through about 50 different nuts to find the right one. What a %$#@!

Thanks for the help guys!

John

10. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Dude, where'd you get the pickguard? Looks to me like a 10 hole 50's pattern tort guard, trying to avoid getting one custom made..

11. Just a regular Fender replacement guard. It doesn't fit perfectly but I made it fit.

At the store, they told me it wouldn't work and that I could scratch up the bass...but hey, it's a RW!! What is the worst that could happen? Another scratch?!?

John

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021