Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help: Funk or fusion songs for a six piece band..

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by reitedasc, Dec 15, 2005.

1. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    I play in a jazz/funk/fusion band: Bass, drums, keys, guitar, sax and trumpet. None of my atempts at making songs has been accepted so we really need som tunes to play...

Thanks
    Axel

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Herbie Hancock, or any of the Headhunters stuff is likely a good place to start.

Sly and the Family Stone, or if you like that 70's stuff, maybe Kool and the Gang or Lakeside for a few popular hits.

3. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    Thanks Jueau. We've played Watermelon man but we figured that Chameleon was a bit to long... I'll check out some more Hancock and the other stuff.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    You might check out some Soulive and MMW as well (3 piece bands - but often have horns as well). If you cant find any easily, let me know and Ill hook you up with some stuff.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    hehe, I just sent him a PM with some samples to listen too, Jamiroquai was among them :)

6. OK, you want a challenge? Check out early/middle Brecker Brothers recordings. Michael and Randy Brecker with David Sanborn and Will Lee on bass. Depending on their chops, your horn players will either love you or hate you.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Brass Construction
    Mandrill

8. WesC

WesC

Nov 18, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Scofield stuff from "Blue Matter" and "Loud Jazz"
    Incognito "Positivity"
    Definitely some Brecker Brothers stuff
    Bill Evans (sax not piano) has some great tunes.
    Weather Report
    Steps Ahead
    Vital Information
    Randy Brecker has some nice solo stuff
    Tom Scott

You're going to have to do some arranging for your group though to play any kind of covers. Try taking some doing new arrangements with horns in place of some keyboard parts. It can sound awesome. :)

Have fun!

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    you gotta do at least one ohio players cover, they bring the funk

these are some great funky jazzy bands

ohio players
    average white band
    brothers johnson
    earth wind and fire
    tower of power
    the gap band
    parliment, funkadelic, anything george clinton
    LA Express
    Tom Scott

good fusion bands

return to forever
    mahavishnu orchestra
    the jeff lorber fusion
    billy cobham
    lenny white
    steely dan
    stanley clarke
    weather report

most of those fusion bands don't have horns but i thought i would tell you about them anyway since they're all really good. But check out the funky jazzy bands listed above, with a lot of practice you could pull of some of those bands up there.

10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out Pat Methany, Weather Report, Cavemen, Karizma, Crusaders, Larry Carlton, Electric Band