1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP!!! fuzzy G string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilovemySXbass, Apr 9, 2009.

1. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::scowl::scowl::scowl::scowl:
    the title sounded odd but i need help.
    i recently brought a SX bass from a music shop and i picked up my bass to play it and i strummed all four notes and the last string G just continuously fuzzed like it was rattling on the nut, so i pulled to G string down and it came off the nut completely but you can put it back on.

i tried searching for people that had the same problems but nothing came up. i talked to a friend that owns a bass and she has the same problem and said that i needed new strings.

is this true?
    i dont like the fuzzy string. can someone help please?

:crying::bawl::rollno::scowl::bassist:

2. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Try holding your finger over the nut on the g string slot. If the fuzz stops then the nut slot on the G string is too big.

3. Can we get pics of your friend and her fuzzy g string?

Furthermore, I volunteer to hold my finger over the g string nut slot.

How was this missed?

Make sure you wind the string from the top down.

4. bmaxd

bmaxd

Sep 23, 2005
    Saint Louis
    heh
    :bassist:

5. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    Oh lawdy!

6. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    shave it?

7. Rewind the string in such a way that it naturally presses harder into the slot. Make it wind from the top down, not from the bottom up.

8. See! Thats what I said.

Now that we have that taken care of, where is the nut slut with the fuzzy g string that I was told something about?

9. i hold G when its past the nut and the fuzzing stops, but then take it off and it fuzzes again.

cuz i have a SX its made it the fender precision style, you know how there is machine head, machine head, machine head, machine head and then theres a circle thing on the head stock, are the strings meant to be under or over it?

thanks for your help anyway! :)

10. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Under

11. mine were above it, does that effect my strings?

12. boabski2k

boabski2k

Dec 24, 2008
    Scotland
    Since fender style basses have a straight headstock, the string tree is there to help create a good break angle (a decent downward angle after the string passes over the nut.

Detune, place the two strings under the tree, retune things should be fine

13. oh ok! :) thank you so much! :) :) :) :) :)

14. thank you everyone that helped me! :):):):)<3<3

i put D and G under the tree thing and the fuzzing stopped! but it out of tune!

15. Well... tune it! :)

16. Fuzz & G strings - great topic! Pics? :D

17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    This post right here is the root of all bass player jokes.

18. I'd think there are more drummer jokes based upon this sort of 'lack of knowledge.':ninja:
    Heck, when I was starting, there was no Talkbass, or any help at all. I thought the intonation adjustment was there to alter the feel of the strings! Yep, really. Now I build my own. Live and learn.

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

jpicsfnDvwTZ5Dvv7zY4.

20. /\ lol...