Help. G-K 2000RB Bridge Mono..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I tried asking this in another thread but nodda.

My GK runs at 1000W Briged at 4 ohms.

It runs stereo 2 x 350w (2- 8 ohm cabs) total 700w also.

Now. Stereo sounds MUCH better than when I run in B.M. The BM sounds over the top and cardboardy and uncontrolled.

When I run it in stereo, everything sounds more matched and there is a wider flexibility in the sensitivity and feel and tone..

This happened with my Eden amp I had a while back also.

MY Q is why? Please no guessing.
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    All that anybody can do is either guess at an answer or tell you that you are imagining things, because there is nothing about a straightforward solid state amp that would cause different tone quality in the two configurations. In any event, one would have to guess as to what a cardboardy sound consists of.

Historically, discussions of how to iron out perceived differences between power amp configurations end up with threads getting locked. :bag:

Actually, there is one more possibility, namely malfunction. I owned for a brief time (the money-back trial period to be exact) a power amp that broke up at low power levels when in bridge mode. A quick look with the oscilloscope revealed that the amp was going into high frequency oscillation. A replacement did the same thing, then I got my money back.
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had the same head and noticed what you describe to a small degree. I had more power bridged into 4 ohms but in stereo into two 8 ohm cabinets it had a slightly cleaner sound with a tighter bass.

I asked a friend who owns a sound company why. He said that in bridged mono there was a much lower damping factor and that caused the bass to be slightly uncontrolled. He said he runs at 8 ohms whenever he can for best sound. of course, with the number of power amps he owns, he could afford to. He said some amps showed this problem more than others and that not all speakers impedance was the same.

Anyhow, it wasn't enough of a problem to me with the GK so I used bridged mono.
  4. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I'm going to guess anyways. Some people like the sound of 1000 watts into only 500 watts of handling, because the excess headroom gives them a cleaner tone and more dynamic ability. Some people like matching the head to the cab, or even less wattage because it has a little more "colored" and compressed sound.
    Also, I'm guessing that in bridged mode you have the master down much farther while in stereo it is at a healthy midway point. Ever notice how a Marshall stack sounds much better at full power than turned down?
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

That makes sense. Damping. I know I'm not imagining this. It's not subtle, it's very noticable.

6. Ive been running this same head for years in bridge mono into a golith sr 6x10 cab, lately into 2 2x10 avatar pro's. I kind of had the same thoughts about a month ago. Ive run in stereo before into two GK cabs and thought the bass sounded much more controlled, especially in bi-amp. My thinking is that I run the volume at only around a 1/4 turn which maybe doesnt get the whole effeciant thing happing, or maybe to much headroom isnt such a good thing and it just throws out the bass with to much ease? I dont know. But next practice on thur Im going back to stereo or bi-amp mode to check it out.