1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! G&L L2000 trouble

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by goolimari, Jun 27, 2007.

1. goolimari

goolimari

Jun 19, 2007
    Hello all,

my G&L L2000 tribby just arrived! i've been waiting for this for so long it hurts..

but there seems to be a big problem.. :(:(:(

there is something wrong with the wire that goes out to the amp..even the slightest of movement of the wire at the guitar end seems to creat a HUGE static buzz in the amp. I have plugged the wire into the guitar as tight as possible, but if i rotate the plug even a little bit (clockwise/anticlockwise along the axis of the jack pin), there is a deafening static buzz that is very very loud (even with the guitar volume know turned all the way down).

this does not happen with the other guitar i have ( a cheap fullerton P bass clone)

am i doing something wrong or is the guitar defective?

please let me know! i have attached pics

Attached Files:

2. I purchased a L2000 a few years ago. When I got it I had problems with the output jack also. I took it back to the guitar store to be checked out. The tech replaced the jack at no charge to me. After that It worked flawlessly. Sometimes I wonder about quality control... You wouldn't think that the jack could mess up by shipping but I guess anything is possible.

3. goolimari

goolimari

Jun 19, 2007
    things seem to be getting worse..

there seems to be a hiss when the bass is in active/treble boost mode..it gets a lot better when i touch the switches..touching the switches reduces the hiss, but it comes back when i dont touch it..

however the passive mode has no hiss..

am i screwed or what? i would hate to return the bass...

can anybody help me?..

-arvind

4. it doesn't seems to be a big problem.
    you should try playing with other cable (the cable could be the problem). you should try playing on other amp. and you should try playing on other guitar.
    that way, you will find out what's wrong. I hope for you that will be only a cable problem. enjoy your new bass.

5. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
  6. Bassosaur

Bassosaur

Jul 14, 2005
    The same thing happened to me. The local shop replaced the pots and input jack and everything is fine now.

7. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
  8. goolimari

goolimari

Jun 19, 2007
    Hello folks,

Thanks for all your responses..

things i did after reading the responses

>>>> got a new cable - Planet Waves gold plated ultra fundoo cable: removed the static problem

>>>> tried with two different amps (one of them is a Peavey Microbass) - still get the buzz.

>>>> did a complete diagnostics. have attached an image with all results

buzz1.gif

>>> Called up GuitarAdoptions (the guys i bought the bass from). They gave me the G&L 1-800 #. Still trying to reach G&L but no response for past 3 hours

>>> Gotta still try changing the battery thing. I also plan to try some shielding (though i do not knowhow to do it..any pointers would be helpful. I want to wait till i hear from G&L before i rip open the control cavity..)

thanks for all the help!

Arvind

9. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    This is why i sold my old L2500 :( Then someone posted here abouts that its an IC chip in the preamp that causes the buzz. just search for a thread with "noise" in the title.

10. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Shield it all the way. Very important to do the cavity cover...

Shield.jpg

Enhance the bridge ground....

L1000009.jpg

11. goolimari

goolimari

Jun 19, 2007
    Well hello folks,

Thanks to your inputs, i think i have nailed the cause of the problem..

i went and bought a multimeter and tested the connectivity between the bridge and the switches. and it was as i had suspected. zero connectivity!

i then went on to remove the bridge, and horrors of horrors, there was NO grounding wire out there at all! there is a hole in the bridge cavity, there are no wires running through it..

seems like i got a lemon.. (pics below)

ground2.jpg

ground1.jpg

do you guys think i can fix this myself, or will i have to send it back (bought it from Guitar Adoptions)?

i tried taking a look at the control cavity, but it is packed as hell with wires, and i didnt want o messaround. i tried to locate a black ground wire that was free floating, but there werent any..

Picture.jpg

any advice on solving the problem would be appreciated..

-regards

arvind

12. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Call Guitar adoptions and see what they say. Seems simple enough to run a ground wire yourself at this point.

If you like everything else about that particular bass ground the bridge and be done with it.

Jim

13. goolimari

goolimari

Jun 19, 2007
    Hi Jim

Can you please tell me where i should connect the other end of the bridge ground wire to? ( i mean one end is at the bridge..when should i put the other end?..)

have never soldered it in my life..will first run a wire and see if it solves the problem..and if yes, will take it to someone locally to get it soldered..

14. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    It looks like all the green (ground) wires end up at one terminal of the master volume pot. Seems like that would be the place to take the ground out to the bridge...Oh yeah; and good luck with getting that problem fixed, gooli. Your dogged persistence is admirable !

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021