1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help! G&L tribute L2000 vs SBMM Ray34

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghostjs, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    im thinking bout getting one of these basses and im quite stumped. im saving for one of the two and theyre at the same price range. i dont really care too much about the bells and whistles of the G&L... but i wanna know what you guys think i should get. i play a lot of styles mainly rock, funk and punk.

i havent played the Ray34 or the L2000 but i played a real Stingray many times at GC and i love the looks as well as the sound and ive only seen reviews of the L2000 but since the Ray34 is new, i havent seen a review but the Bass Whisperer said its well made.

so to make it short, what should i buy when i have the money?
    (my techniques mainly are slap and finger but i use a pick once in a while)

and also how thick is neck on the L2000?

also in size comparison, which body is bigger? the MM or the L2000?

2. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    Im sure this is going to be a great debate for years to come...

I haven't played either, but have read reviews on both and both seem to be great quality, very close to their American counterparts. You really can't go wrong with either.

3. L2000 Tribute. Because there are a lot of information over these bases, but lack of players experience on SBMM

4. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    hmm... what i like most about the SBMM is the looks but i wanna know if i can fit a MM neck on it... and i never gave G&L a thought before until now so im still stuck..

5. I say wait till you can play both in person
    there is no guarantee that Ray34 will sound anything like an Stingray
    otherwise people would be gobbling them up instead of a 1400 dollar bass
    there is also no guarantee that the Trib will sound like a US L-2000
    although either may sound great on its own but not quite up to the standards of the US models

I say wait...
    who knows? by the time you get the dough you may want to go for a used US Fender P Bass

6. It does.
    As far as the G&L, the Tribute line uses US pickups with a US spec pre (cheaper components). They also don't offer any choice of woods, necks (4 options on the US) and only a handful of finishes. The sound is there. Enough so that I sold my US L-1000 because the Tribute nailed most of that and some more with the second pickup.

Mike

7. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I couldn't decide so I did the only obvious thing....

I bought both of them (An American L2000 and American Stingray). I love them equally for different reasons.

The tributes are fantastic instruments and really give you bang for the buck, but the Ray has that distinctive tone if that's what you want.

8. Agreed. I had a SR5 for a few months while I had the Tribute. The G&L got close, but it was far enough off the mark to keep me wanting another Ray.

Mike

9. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    hmm... well i love the looks of the Ray but the L2000 now im thinking bout it can do much more in versatility. I might go for the L2000 if the quality of the instrument is good

10. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I've gone on record as stating this before but it's worth repeating:

The G&L Tribute is THE best bass I've ever played for under $550, and if you find one used you can easily get one for under $400. I actually prefer mine over two previous US made G&Ls I owned (L2000 and ASAT) because the sound is exactly the same and it's reasonably light weight compared to the two boat anchors I had. If I had to register any complaints, it might be that they're not particularly sexy in appearance and perhaps the pots could be swapped out for better ones, but I've had no problems with mine so far.

11. This would be my one complaint. I'm considering having a tech just dump a US spec pre in and calling it a day, but I haven't priced that out, yet.

Mike

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I sold my like-new tribby on ebay for ~$350 last year. These things are a rockin' deal... and you won't find any 'sterlings' used for a while...

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I've owned two G&L Tributes (SB-2 and L2500) and an SR5. They are not interchangeable. Each has its own thing going on. I preferred the Tributes.

I'll also jump on the best bass for under $800 bandwagon. Also, they're an absolute steal if you can find them used.

IMO you'll have a hard time finding a better sounding axe without dropping MIA Fender money.