Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II+ Hartke 410XL = Crapped out. Why?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gismo, Oct 16, 2005.

1. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    I'm the new owner of a used Gallien Krueger 700RB-II which seemed to be in excellent (I mean real purdy) condition (got it for a steal). Shortly after I purchased a used Hartke 410XL cab in pretty nice condition. On the back of it states, "240W @ 8 Ohms." Now, my band used all its gig money to get this rig for me. During practice, it's flawless. Well....last night at our big show....I had the woofer setting on 12 o'clock (halfway) and the volume also at 12 o'clock and the damn thing took a dump on me during our fourth song. ***??!! The 'power/protect' light went from the soft soothing blue to a red. No sound, nothing. It was embarrassing. I turned it off, turned it on, still red...unplugged it, plugged it back in turned it on, still red. Luckily, it came back to life towards the end of the song....don't know how. It was good until our last song, about 7 songs or so that is.....it just died on our last song and wouldn't come back.

Fellas! What is going on??!! This rig looks so nice and worked really well for practice...can somebody please help? I'm really lost.

2. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    It sounds like it overheated. Was the fan in the head running, and was it unobstructed?

- Tim

3. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    The unit wasn't anywhere near hot during the gig. The fan was operating and was not obstructed.

4. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    Is the cabinet wattage too low for the head? The head itself is rated at 480W @ 4 Ohms and 320W @ 8 Ohms.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Something like that happend to me with my older 700RB, but it's worked fine ever since that incident almost three years ago. Strange but true. Did you smell anything like burning electronics?

Also, you may want to try a different speaker cable, because the problem could have been there. (I assume you weren't using instrument cable by accident.)

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    There was a point where some amps had a bad protect circuit that would cut out the amp. There was also a problem with solder joints cracking between preamp and pots that caused a power loss.

Were you using the boost at between 10 o'clock and noon? That's usually needed for adequate volume on the 700RB.

BTW, there shouldn't be a problem with the cab you're using matching the amp...it's an 8 ohm cab and the amp's power at 8 ohms is pretty close, yes?

BTW, GK customer support seems pretty good both on TB and at their factory...give 'em a call.

7. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    Whoops, I think I was using a regular instrument cable. It didn't smell like anything was burning at all. The boost was under 10 o'clock I believe. What kind of cable should I be using between the cab and head? Yes, @ 8 Ohms the Wattage on the head and cabinet are nearly the same, but the head still rates a bit more.
    Since my cabinet wattage is lower than my head's, what sort of precautions can I take to lessen the chance of blowing a speaker? We are a working band and used our money (made thus far) to buy this setup. Thanks for the help fellas.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The cab you are using is fine, the cable you are using is NO GOOD! You must use "speaker cable" which is designed for head to cab placement. You cannot use instrument cable for amlifiers!

9. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    A speaker cable of at least 16 gauge (better if lower, like 12 or 14) will work fine. An instrument cable has much thinner wire and doesn't transmit power well. Unless you bang hard on the bass...or keep your Woofer setting past 3 o'clock with the boost and gain set hig...or if you set the bass knob all the way up...or run a really scooped setting with the Contour at high volumes...the difference between your cab and amp ratings aren't worth worrying about.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You can actually use lamp cord for speakers, instrument cable is shielded so it's not good to use.

11. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    Thanks guys!!

12. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    Oh, also....is there a speaker cable that you guys would recommend I use? Thanks again.

13. Bayou audio cables are the best I have used you can order them directly from their web site and will have them in a few days. And he stands behind his work. They make monster cables sound like crap(actually monster cable makes itself sound like crap.) They open up your sound and you get more harmonics and it is like someone removed something from in front of your speaker. the sound is just more there. YMMV. :bassist:

14. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I am of the opinion that as long as the gauge is correct, there will be no audible difference.

Suggesting that switching from Monster speaker cable to Bayou will be like "removing something from in front of your speaker" may be an exaggeration.
    :)

Buy at least 16 gauge, buy the shortest length that you need, and don't spend a crazy amount of cash on it.