1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help get me started!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iceshaft07, Sep 9, 2008.

1. iceshaft07

iceshaft07

Mar 4, 2007
    Hi everyone. I am going into my first purchase of a real amp. I read through several of the stickies, and I am taking the advice. However, I didn't see any brand recommendations, only Speaker Size, Ohm, and Watt recommendations.

I am looking into getting a 300-400watt, 8 Ohm Combo Amp (I don't care too much about speaker size), and I would like some recommendations if you have any.

I checked out musiciansfriend.com and saw a couple of 4x10 4ohm 450watt amps for around $500 by Behringer.

I think I also saw a 2x10 with a tweeter horn with 350watts too.

If anyone has an amp recommendation it would be much appreciated (or if a comboamp set up such as I am describing doesn't exist, could you help me get started with preamp and speaker cabinet recommendations)?

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I went thru a slug of combo amps, and wish I hadnt. Do yourself a favor and get a decent head,( GK BL600, Ashdown, Ampeg, etc) and an 8 ohm cab. (Avatar 112, 212, 210) that you can add another cab to later if needed. Be light and flexible. Combos are heavy and non-flexible. If you buy a combo now, you will most likely sell it later for 1/2 what you paid for it, then end up spending more for a head and cab later. Dont waste your "1st go-around". Pesonally I would get a used GK Backline 600, or a GK 400rb, or 700rb for a head. Then get an Avatar 112 8ohm. Later you could add another 112 or a 210. You could play alot of years on a rig like that and not waste money searching(loosing $).

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that.

4. iceshaft07

iceshaft07

Mar 4, 2007
    Wow, thanks for that awesome answer! Much appreciated!

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    it's helpful to have a target price in mind to narrow down constructive options...