Help getting a darker sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Right, i have an old Aria Pro 2 banger bass that im working on, its been coper shielded and is getting the DiMarzio Model P/J pickup set installed.

For the wiring im going to use a dual pot for the seperate volumes, a single tone control for both pickups (this will be a push/pull pot that acts as a phase switch), and its also going to have a 3 way DPDT switch for Series/Single Coil/Parallel (for the P pup, would like to be able to do it for the J pup too but dont have an extra hole on the bass)

The problem is im wanting a fairly dark sound, so im looking at getting 500K pots, however, finding a 500K dual pot seems to be impossible, so, anyone have and advice on how to go about getting a darker sound with the layout ive described here?

- Will
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  3. You would actually want to use 250K pots to bleed off some high end. Try a capacitor w/a higher value. You could even try moving the pickups further away from the strings.
  4. +1 on the pots
    +2 on the capacitor

also a series mod will make the bass a bit darker and rounder...I did it on my fairly bright Yammy and it for everything but slap it works great.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    all great advice
  6. Ah crap, i posted it backwards, i know 250K will be darker, but, i cant find dual 250K pots anywhere, only 500K/500K and 250K/500K

Will probably use a 0.044 or 0.047μF cap on the tone pot

And, as said, planning on a series/single coil/parallel mod switch, one for each pup (sod it, im gettin the drill out)

Someone said to me before putting a 500K resistor in series with a 500K pot would make it 250K, this makes sense to what i remember about physics (im a biochemist, give me a break :p ), or does anyone know where to source 250K dual concentric pots?

Cheers for all the help sofar guys :)

And thanks burningskies :p
  7. Bartolini has some dark sounding pups available.
  8. Im set on the DiMarzio model P and J's, thanks for the info tho :)
  9. May I bump your thread and ask a question?

How much will you pay for the stacked pots? I'm looking for those things and I can't find them. I can find them 250/500 but then they are 20 euro's, which is way too expensive.
  10. Right now im looking for a cheaper place, £25 for 500K/500K is what ive seen right now (35 Euro's!)

But, with the space i have, im going to have to use a stacked pot if i want everything, im already adding another hole for a switch, im sure there are cheaper places about . . . .