Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help getting a particular sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr Krinkle, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Hi there, i was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a good pedal to achieve a nice punchy, Tool/Jesus Lizard style bass sound. I was thinking perhaps the Sansamp Bass driver DI could do it? I've heard the Tech 21 Landmark bass amps dial up that tone, but i'm looking for it in a pedal if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

2. Ok i think i have narrowed it down to the Gallien Krueger Diesel Dawg and the Sansamp Bass DI. Anyone have these? What do you think of them?

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I have both the Tech21 Landmark Head and the SansAmp Bass Driver DI. The Landmark can reproduce that sound exactly (due to having 2 preamps that are blendable) but the Bass Driver can also get pretty damn close! :)

4. Cool , Cheers man. :) Incidentally what cab do use with the landmark, the tech 21 4x10? I do like the look and sound of the Landmark series. What sort of tone do you go for?

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Currently I use a Hartke 410XL & a Hartke 4.5XL cab. Both cabs are 8ohms so together they run at 4ohms which is the optimum for the Landmark 300 Head.

Volume isn't a problem and my sound is bright and punchy with a solid low end and plenty of grind/growl. :smug:

I am thinking of getting an Ampeg 8x10 and maybe a QSC Power Amp should I need to go louder :D

Personally, I tend to go for a slightly overdriven, punchy, grinding rock sound (think Rachel Bolan (Skid Row)/ Pat Badger (Extreme)/ Eddie Jackson (Queensryche)/ Duff McKagan (Guns n Roses & Velvet Revolver) bass sound most of the time. However, I also play 'functions' and the Landmark head provides great clean, trad, slap, dub and jazz tones as well as Tool-style noise should I need it! :bassist: