1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help getting better tone out Ampeg SVT 410HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prater, Jul 16, 2012.

1. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    I recently ditched a Behringer 410 (ported) cab for an Ampeg SVT-410HE (sealed). I haven't got a new head yet so I'm still running out of an old Hartke 100w kickback, hooked up to the Ampeg cab. With the Behringer I had a pretty decent tone going dialed in, just through a crappy amp (lots of buzz etc.)

Now I've got this Ampeg and can't seem to get it to sound right. I scoop my mids, and like a real throaty sound but no matter what I do there is tons of low end thud over shadowing the natural growl. I've tried taking some of the bass out but it doesn't seem to do any good. The cab just seems really boomy no matter how I EQ.

Is this just the nature of sealed cabs? Ampeg cabs?

2. You sure it ain't the 410 HLF? ;)
    Start ur eq flat. Don't scoop mids. You may find it seems naturally scooped-compared to what you're used to, I dunno.
    I'd start with eq flat. Then take OUT what ever suits.
    IF you've got boomy ass end already, scooping mids is only gonna accentuate that.
    Try flat & cut bass if needed & see how u go.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have a Heritage 810 and the 410 HE. All my tone controls are usually flat with a couple of exceptions depending on the gig and venue. I think you'll find that your "growl" will come from low mids more than anything,so don't scoop out your mids.You're getting rid of all the frequencies that give your bass its character. Start flat and make small changes from there.In a band setting,you'll want those mids there.

4. Sealed cabs generally have LESS low end. Echoing what the other dudes have said, dial back that scoop.

What bass are you using there?

5. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    Fender MIM Jazz Bass, SS strings, both pickups and tone at 10. I've got it EQ'd with bass at 12 o'clock, mid at 9 o'clock, and treble at 5 o'clock. The horn is off.

6. What head are you using again?

On my SVTII-P (Preamp section of the old SVT II), I recently turned on the Ultra Hi switch and rolled the treble down to 9 o'clock from 1 o'clock and rolled the Bass up to 5 o'clock from 3 o'clock. The mids stayed at 10 o'clock both times, but I flipped from frequency 2 to 3. It made my rig have much more presence, cleared up alot of the thud but had enough clean earth shaking lows. This was also accompanied by turning up both the Lo contour and process on the BBE 382i

It could be your not an Ampeg guy. I have owned several ampeg cabs, still use the ampeg preamp. I far prefer Mesa Boogie.

7. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    Mids at 9 is probably your problem. Start with them flat ( around 12).

8. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    What might sound like honky on it's own might be the only thing that helps you cut and sound nice in a mix.

9. I have the same cab as you, but have an Eden Nemesis head and play a '05 Warwick Rockbass Corvette. I have in fact the same problem as you are having, but one thing I'm not getting rid of is the cab. I'm actually getting me a second one, and then throw in a new head, maybe GK or a PF500. Then a good old P bass. It's going to sound good!

10. BluesOnBass

BluesOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2010
    By the Big Lake
    I have the svt 410 he and run a PF 500 through it. I love it!

11. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I've had he's for a long time, the 200w jobs. Punchy with good deeps, I'm a percussive and busy player. I use a PF500. Love it. I recently sold the 200w he's and bought a HLF. The HLF isn't as quick a responding sound IMHO. Really deep, but I play 4 string. So I traded even up for a 500w he cab. Live and learn. I like the flexibility of having two 8ohm bottoms. Gotta find another one now.

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If you cant find any knob settings you like, take your cab to a music store and demo it with some better amp heads. Even If you cant afford to buy a new amp now, at least you'll learn if you'd probably end up liking that cab or not...