Help! Getting close to being time to choose!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Jan 25, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I just discovered this forum, and I've read a lot, so now I'm just fishing for opinions. My wife has given me the OK to get a new bass, and I've narrowed it down to just two choices, really (both four string basses). Neither one is available in my area, and while I have played some other Lakland models and loved them, Sadowsky has such an impeccable reputation that I'm sure I'd be more than satisfied.

Choice #1: Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones, maple neck, w/j-retro preamp.

Choice #2: Sadowsky Metro MS-4, Swamp Ash/Maple neck (can't afford to add on Sadowsky preamp at this time -- maybe Outboard model later on).

I think either way, I'd be thrilled, but I'm wondering what people think about how important it is to have the preamp option. Obviously, without the preamps, the Sadowsky is about $800-900 more than the Lakland so the cheaper DJ bass would allow me to get the J-retro installed now. I much prefer the color choices of the Sadowsky, in particular the '59 sunburst Standard, but color isn't as important to me as feel and sound.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
  2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Look around there and your options will increase 10 fold.

Now... Sadowsky's are increadible musical instruments, But for them to sound like they do, they need to be in a mix (With a band) By themself they dont sound all that special.

Honestly, I would look into a U.S.A. Lakland 44-94 Used (About 2k) and thats about the price of that sad, and In my opinion, more versitile.
  3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply!

Since my existing basses are a 1988 Steinberger XL-2 (purchased new) and an even older Rick 4003, I thought I'd finally get something more along the lines of the J-bass I never had (*sigh*), :bassist: which is why I'm leaning toward the Lakland DJ. The Sadowsky would be a stretch financially, and I think the wife would freak at spending $2K for a used bass (though if it were well set up and taken care of, I could pull the trigger). ;)

Are the USA/NYC basses really THAT much better than the Skyline/Metros?
  4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Then I'd Have to Recommend the U.S. Joe Osborn Lakland Still Used for 2k (Exactly at basscentral) But you dont have to tell the wife its used... :smug:

Honestly, I think that would suit your purpose VERY well.

Beside's that they have a Lull 5 string used for $1,500 Also a good choice.

Beside's that they have a Used Modulus Vintage Jazz used for $1,300! Another GREAT choice.

And I'm Sure there's a couple more... All would be great choices.

Just look around at Its like the Online Walmart for bassists.

Great deals to be had everywhere.