Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help getting slap tones on Bass 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Sep 12, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I acquired a 1982 Mesa Bass 400 not too long ago and am still working out the kinks with it. I can get some beautiful fingerstyle tones out of it that are nicely responsive to my playing style and attacks.

I still havent been able to dial in an awesome slap tone- not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am using an Ibanez bass and this might be part of it since its not particularly mid-rangey.

To get the fingerstyle sound that I like, I have my EQ setup with a "frown" look to it. Bass set at 7, pulled out. Treble set at 4. Dont remember my mid, but it might be boosted a bit too. I use the top channel for fingerstyle, but kind of like the bottom one for slap tones better. My bass is set about even with a slight boost to bass/treble.

Any thoughts?

2. kgantzer

kgantzer

Mar 6, 2004
    Ohio
    While I am not familiar with your gear, in my experience a general slap tone can be found with a "scooped" EQ, or a "smile" with the mids cut and both the lows and highs boosted.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I can get a pretty good slap tone out of my 400+ by turning the highs way up (as far up as you can go until you hear hissing), keep the mids down (mine are at 3), and put the bass to taste, which for me is about 7. You can then use the graphic EQ to EQ to taste, but a good starting point is to keep it in a smile, but without any boosting, just cutting mids.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks. Ill try out some of your suggestions. I think Mesa heads (at least these older ones) have a huge scoop built in. Hence the frown EQ that a few of us end up using, maybe "flat" will work out a little better.