1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! GK 1001RB-II or 700RB-II for a 4x12 cab setup.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dan13, Aug 21, 2016.

1. dan13

dan13

Aug 21, 2016
    Hi everybody,

First time posting after many years reading. Really hope you can help me out with this one.

I'm about to get my hands on some Gallien Krueger gear, but I have some concerns regarding which head to choose. I'm stuck between the 1001RB-II and the 700RB-II. Regarding cabs, I'm pretty sure I'm going for one NEO 212-II (600W RMS @8ohm) by now... which leads me to my question:

I may want to add one more NEO 1x12-II (300W RMS @8ohm) in a few months or maybe even another NEO 2x12-II like the first one. I'm seriously convinced about the extra 1x12, since this would allow me to take this last one to the smaller gigs... but if some big venue has to be played, which they do from time to time, I'd still have the 3 x 12 option. On the other hand, I really want a 4x12 setup just because of reasons, and I still could take only half of it to the small gigs... So, would the 700RB-II manage to move enough air through the 2x12 + 1x12 or even a 2x12 + 2x12 setup? Should I go straight to the 1001RB-II?

My gigs are often at small places... but from time to time we play open-air and some mid-big venues. We play rock/punk with ridiculous rates of speed and volume. I've read about GK's crystal-clean tone, which is what I'm seeking... I've got the pedals for everything else.

Thanks in advance guys!

Regards,

D

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

@Chef and a couple others have run the 212+112 combo very effectively. The 700RB II will provide enough output power and less chance of the 112 being in danger of over driving. The 1001RB II more than enough power and will stay cleaner, but some say too clean almost sterile with the 700RB II being "warmer" in tone. I even play outside with the Fusion 550 (slightly more power than the 700RB II) and the 412 with no trouble and still have power to spare. G-K's power ratings come from an engineer (named Robert A Gallien), not a marketing goop so they are more real world and easily obtainable. At those levels though the increase in wattage makes little real world volume difference as it takes a magnitude of X10 to double volume from the same speakers. Adding speakers gets you louder faster than additional wattage alone.

It you want bleeding loud and clean go for the 1001RB II and two NEO 212 IIs with really good ear plugs.

3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    + 1 to everything B String said.

The 700 punches pretty hard. The 1001 is stupid loud. My 700 has never run out of steam and always has more to give but I haven't played any arenas so... The GK Heads always seem to punch above thier weight class. Even my lowly backline 600 is giggable.

SwitchGear likes this.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My personal experience:
    I started with the 700; and; while it certainly can be loud enough for really anything, it didn't stay clean enough for me. You have to use the boost knob as part of gain structuring, and, that imparts tonal character as you dial it up, from warmer, to harmonic content, to gritty, and I hit grit too soon for me.
    The 1001 is just crazy powerful.
    I use 2x112 often, and it's great. I stack them vertically most often for better personal monitoring, tho doing so can cause a decrease in bass response in some places.
    I use 112/212 less often, but, still use that for bigger things, and "when I need to have a larger looking rig," which is a real thing for some shows.
    I do have 2x212; and honestly, I've only used that once or twice because it's just a lot.
    I do use the 212 frequently as well. It's very light and easy to move, especially on casters, and will cover a lot of ground on it's own.

I very seldom use 112 except for rehearsals, which are very low volume.
    This isn't a "fault" of the 112, I just always really prefer at least two drivers for feel, for me.

dan13 likes this.
  5. dan13

dan13

Aug 21, 2016
    Thank you all for your awnsers! :)

A last question, though: Would 2 x NEO212 be too much for the 700? I would not use use that setup on a regular basis, just for the bigger gigs...

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm not wondering about volume, but about stressing the amp (2 x 600W cabs into a RB700II)

6. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I'm confident your 700 would be more than happy driving 2 x 212. As long as they are both 8 ohms.

B-string likes this.
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Two 8 ohm 212s is a 4 ohm load, which is totally no issue for the 700.
    Any 4 ohm capable amp, should drive any 4 ohm load with no worries; even if somehow that 4 ohm load was 285 speakers.
    Which I think isn't possible. :D

B-string likes this.
  8. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Sounds like a challenge chef

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I will probably own both forever, two amazing flavors. It takes enormous volume to get the 1001rb ii to do what the 700rb ii does very well. The 700 can do clean punchy tones very well, but when pushed can be a beautiful thing. I really can't see not having both even with redundancy fwiw.

-Benny

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021