Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help. GK 700RB-II/210 needs more mid-punch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OrionManMatt, May 23, 2005.

1. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    We use a GK 700RB-II/210 at church and run it direct-out but it never cuts through in the main mix. It just lacks the oomph that perhaps you'd expect from a 410/810 cab. The worship pastor is really wanting to get a (Ampeg) 410 cab that we can have off-stage to bring back some of the punch and presence to the mix. Is this the only option or are there other options?

2. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I am assuming this is a combo? If so put a 15" underneath and you should cut through just fine. I do this on my 400RB-2-10 combo and it cuts very well. The 15" SBX cab comes to mind if you are going to stick with G-K.

3. Are you relying on the amp for the audience or are you going through the pa? Unless you guys play really loud, I don't see how you can't get a 700/210 combo to cut through. Is it really an issue of cutting through or do you just want more 'kick'?

4. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Well, one of the other bassists does have the 115RBH and it sounds amazing when we turn it up. It's tight and forward...but...keeping stage volume to a minimum is something that must be done. Would mic'ing the 115 off-stage help this?

5. Boost low mids and high mids. Alone, the sound will not be as pleasing as before but it'll cut very well in the mix. Put down the contour, the oomphy dub sound it provides is cool but it's hard to cut through with it.

Or you can get a Schroeder 1210:D .I use one with my 700RB and now everything's flat and I really don't have any problem to cut through(it might even be too much...) a wall of guitars!!!

6. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    It isn't for the audience. It's direct-out straight to the board. We use IEM's so the bass on-stage provides some low-end and serves somewhat as a monitor.