Help? Going from Eden410/210 to a 112...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by desertsolace, Sep 11, 2010.

1. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    THOSE WITH ATTENTION ISSUES JUST READ THE BOLD :smug:
    So I was using the Eden 410xlt for a while. I had chosen it against an Ampeg 410; they were the only 410's in my price range as they were both used at a local shop. I realized it was way too much for what I needed so I traded it to a friend for an Eden D210MBX + $ which I thought sounded fairly similar at the volumes I was using. Believe it or not... even the 210 is more than I need most of the time as most of my gigs are using my electric upright with crowds of 40-50 and bigger gigs with my MTD Beast 5 or ATK are with decent houses systems.

So I'm planning on moving to a 112 then eventually another 112. My local shops have no 112's I'm interested in, in stock; no try before I buy. I'm planning to buy in the <$450 range USED.

I know there is tons of comparisons of many of the new light 112's but I'm moving from an Eden 210.

I'm looking for a more even response, though I really like my Eden but I don't need all those juicy mids if that makes sense.

Any recommendations? I'm curious re: Neox 112, Epi 112's, LDS stuff, Dr. Bass, Bergs, etc... My rig consists of Shuttle 6.0, MTD Beast 5, Atk750. I do like vintage sounds but I can shape those with my sansamp.

2. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    okay, I just sold my 210 so any help would be great! I'm particularly curious about a 12/6/1 design done by LDS; seems affordable but does anyone have a comparison between that and and Eden 210 or 410?

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've owned the shuttle. My top recommendations for electric upright would be the berg AE112, and accugroove 112l. Berg has a now full "open" sound. The accugroove is very smooth. I like the Genz Benz on electric, but thought it was boxy sounding on electric upright.

Love the aggie 112s, but based on your comment, not what you are looking for

4. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    the tri112L looks sweet; haven't seen those come up too often in the classifieds but I can hope ;)

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I like the epi UL112 alot. The epi ps112 is also very good... infact I really like it better than the UL112. I own two LDS 112s. Very good quality, but expect any LDS builds to be 4 months plus. If I were to buy any ONE single 112 it would be the fEarful style 12/6. I have the 15/6 version and it kicks ass. Apparently the 12/6 can put out as much volume as two 112s... with enough wattage (wattage is key with those cabs, you need lots of them).

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergs would be my first choice, then Aguilar GS-112s (NOT DB).

7. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    BASSIST. How would you compare the 3-way LDS 112's with the 12/6? Or do you just have single drivers?

8. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    Does this mean you think the aggie 112's sound similar to the edens?

Also, anyone have an opinion of the Epi ps112 in comparison to the Eden (xlt) sound?

9. The GS112's are more similar to the Eden XST line... if anything, a bit scooped in the mid mids... wide and deep. The GS112 will be about the exact tonal opposite of the low end attenuated and lower mid punchy and upper mid grindy 210XLT.

You might consider the Bergantino AE112.... smoother and less burpy in the low mids than the 210XLT, but has a bit of that upper mid aggression that makes the XLT articulate through a mix. Nice small box.

I have a clip of an LDS 12/6/1 cab on my youtube channel based on your post above. I also have a clip of an LDS 12/6 on my iComposition homepage, which you can access through my profile (it is listed as my homepage). Nice boxes... VERY smooth, wide, warm and even. They don't grind and punch like the AE112, but are bigger down low and more even through the mids, with literally NO upper mid grind (which can be a good or bad thing, depending on what you are looking for).

10. Here is the clip of the LDS 12/6 FYI. Of course, adding a tweeter will take the upper treble all the way up, but the Faital 6" mid driver used in the LDS 12/6 is killer, and plenty bright and treble extended for all but the Marcus Miller type guys IMO.

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=121557

11. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    Wow thanks KJung. I really dig the smooth response of the LDS 12/6 and the 212/6/1 on your links. It sounds like a cab I'd be happy with but I think I'd want the tweeter. If the AE112 sounds anything like the AE212 you're playing it really does the grind I find in Edens (xlts) but still sounds like a fuller response and more versatile. BTW I listened to your clip of the LDS115HO and I thought that was nice; was it just me or did it sound like it had bit more of mid bite then the LDS 12 setups; maybe it would be a nice compromise?
    When I think about doing gigs with EU I think I'm leaning towards the LDS 12.6.1...

12. Hello! Yes, I've described the AE line of cabs as a 'better XLT'... still that bite and punch and grind, but just a smoother, prettier response down low. We hear things the same!

A tweeter works fine in the 12/6 cabs (12/6/1).

Regarding the 115HO cab, yes, that is a grindy, mid punchy beast. That is the full range Eminence 15 (versus the 3015LF used in the 15/6 cabs), and has a LOT of midrange punch and 'natural grind' up top. In a way, that cab has a bit of the AE voicing if you play the AE's with the tweeter turned down. Nice sounding cab!

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have not heard the Berg AE 12s but based on the descriptions I see, they might be similar to Wizzy 12s with the addition of the tweeter. Izzat so? Also for the OP if you want big low end from a 12 thing LDS 12-6 or Mesa Scout 12.

14. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    Bassist you mentioned the fearful 15/8 needing the wattage... how do you (or Kjung) find the lds with lower volumes/wattage? or the AE12's.
    lomo thanks for the suggestion. After hearing kjung's recordings and getting feedback from a few others the LDS 12/6 seems to be leading. There are a few Mesa dealers around none seem to have this in stock.
    but any other thoughts are welcome as are any clips anyone might have of these mentioned cabs.

15. The 'LF' based cabs like the fEarFul or the LDS versions can TAKE a lot of power, but they don't particularly NEED a lot of power. They are pretty high SPL, and sound pretty good even at 8ohms with 300 or so watts. Zero issue there.

16. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The Mesa PH112 is really impressive and should be easy to order in from Long & Mquade.

17. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    thanks for clearing that up. I do want a cab that sounds like its going to sound regardless of how loud I am (within reason)
    I often get confused by the comment, "it needs a lot of wattage." (no offence Bassist)... I'm all for having enough wattage but if I have an am amp rated at 375 and a cab at 350 it should sound fine (I know.. I know.. I should have more headroom).
    It does make sense that larger drivers (15, etc) would need a certain amount of power to come alive but I'm not even close to an expert.

18. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    Crabby, thx. I'll check that out. I'm not financially liberated enough to order one but I'll see if they have any in stock. I originally got my eden 410xlt from L&M in Langley, BC as I had a friend that worked there. Wish I had some friends at the one here in Winnipeg.

19. desertsolace

desertsolace

Feb 10, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB
    Well I ignored all your advice and got a GB Neox 112t :)
    Not quite... I was going between the AE and a LDS; AE seemed to carry the good in the Eden xlt but addressed some of the lack. The LDS sounded great to me but most that come up on the CL are a little heavier than I wanted. So I was leaning towards the AE but they don't come up on the CL for <$400 and my budget's got tighter. What I had heard of the Neox is they have some similarities to the AE...
    Then a Neox 112 came up on the CL with cover for <$400 so I jumped on it. Feel free to lambaste me or share your criticisms of the Neox (hope its not too boxy with eub Pickebass!)

20. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    hope it works out for your uses. I own one, bought used from a TBer but use it in quite a different context. I also own Eden 410xlt/210xlt cabs and two Neox 212T cabs. I've stacked my two Neox 212T cabs and it sounds great just sits kinda tall so I thought why not get a single 112T to use as stacked 3x12's.

Works real well, sounds loud enough, less hassle of carrying two 212's when not needed. I've used the single Neox 112T at a couple rehearsals and a couple restaurant gigs. I always use a 5 string bass and either my GB Neopak or a F1 with this little cab, works real nice for my needs.

With all my other [email protected] cabs it's a very light haul with the one cab. Don't play upright anymore so can't speak to that. Again, hope it works for your needs, let us know later. Good luck.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021