Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help! good rock song suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by altman, Feb 25, 2003.

1. altman

altman

Oct 7, 2001
    A local music store has a program where a group of people practice for 9 thursday nights, and then put on a gig.

We have two vocalists, they are suggesting things by starship, Live, Marc Anthony (good vocal, I guess, but the chord structure seems pretty random.

Myself, I like blues bass, trending to rock and punk - generally 3 chord stuff. Can anybody suggest some good rock/blues/punk songs that *everybody* has heard of, "has a good beat and you can dance to it", and would not be too hard for a newbie bassist. My mind has gone blank, and I need some counter suggestions to all this mush from the vocalists

(BTW, I love "Live", I just never realized the chords were so difficult)

2. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Good Rock ?? What is this "Good Rock" You speak of?

ha ha jk

3. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Altman,

Hey, that sounds kinda' interesting... did an 'open mic', jam once at "Mars Music" with 'Stuttering John' from the "Howard Stern Show".

I'm a big fan of the old James Jamerson tunes of the Motown and R & B days; the chord changes might a bit much for beginner piano and / or guitar players.

"Nowhere To Run"
    "Dancing in the Streets"
    "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"
    "Keep Me Hangin' On"
    "Wooly Bully"
    "Love Shack" - this one is fun, fun tune to play, and gives you some room to open up and get a bit funky!

Marvin Gaye, Martha and Vandella's, Surpremes, Stevie Wonder... think old Dick Clark and dancing at the American Bandstand.

michael s.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You could always do "Mustang Sally" or "Who Do You Love" if you're looking for blues tunes that everyone's probably heard.

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    "Gimme some lovin" - Spencer Davis/Blues Brothers

"Mojo Working"

"Sweet home Alabama"

"Honky Tonk Women"

Are just a few that spring to mind ....

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Not really instructional, let's go to misc.......

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist: