Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help - Gotoh 206 & Schaller 463 minium string heights

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Feb 9, 2006.

1. HI - hope you guys can help...

I want to purchase one of these bridges but I am concerned that I may not be able to adjust my strings low enough because both the
    baseplates and the saddles appear to be thicker than my current
    bridge. I have examined the PDF drawings of both bridges but can not draw a clear conclusion from the dimensions on the drawings which do not clearly illustrate the approximate string height with a string seated in the saddle.

Anyway, the above is a paraphrase of part of a query that I sent to Warmoth but they told me that thay cannot help and to contact the manufacturers. So if anyone can help me with any info, either the dimensions that I need (minimum string height from the top of the bass) or a good way to contact these (AFAIK) non-usa based manufacturers, please post.

Thanks,
    S

2. It's more going to depend on the particular bass. The Gotoh 206 works well with just about any Fender type instrument. The baseplate is just less than 1/8" thick and that's only thousandths over a stock Fender. I've got a 206 on a fretless I built with a Warmoth neck and it's fine. I like it much better than the 201.

3. Thanks for the info Hambone,

I don't know if the Fender situation exactly applies. This is a 10-15 year old Korean made bass with a sort of modern styling, 24 fret bolt on neck with an angled neck rout. The bridge is the weakest point, very very thin base plate (part of why it bent). It isn't in my profile because it isn't totally in my rotation till I get the bugs out. It currently plays with the strings set about 10mm above the top of the base plate and the action needs to be lower (the current bridge can go several mm lower if needed). The Gotoh drawing shows that the saddles themselves, not counting the rest of the bridge, are 9.5mm tall and this is why I am concerned. From the Schaller drawing it looks like things may be similar with that bridge.

Since I changed the strings (smaller guage but higher tension) there may be a little bit of extra relief I can take out of the neck. I suppose that may help. The angled neck rout is a tight fit and I've never shimmed one of this type before, rather avoid it because the neck heel already looks raised enough with respect to the body - but I guess I will try if I have to.

I wish local shops stocked these sort of parts. Guess I will just have to buy one or the other and sell it if it doesn't work.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Peace,
    S

4. 64lusso

64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    Assuming it's a bolt on neck, if the action turns out to be too low after installing the new bridge then adjusting the neck angle would take care of it. There are lots of ways to do this but what I have done is loosen the neck and put a Fender medium pick or something similar in the back of the neck pocket. This raises the rear of the neck a little and then you will most likey have to raise the bridge higher.

5. Hi 64lusso,

Thanks for trying to help, but if you read my posts the problem is the opposite - I am afraid i will no be able to get the action low enough.

AND as I said in my last post:

1. It has an angled neck rout
    2. "The angled neck rout is a tight fit and I've never shimmed one of this type before, rather avoid it because the neck heel already looks raised enough with respect to the body - but I guess I will try if I have to."

Peace,
    S