Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Guitar player, needing assistance with choosing a bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dabluesman, Mar 31, 2000.

1. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    I'm a blues guitar player, looking for a bass that would be good for recording my backing tracks 'n stuff with. I've found a Dean Edge Q4 Quilted bass for $419. It has a quilted maple top and active electronics, two EMG-HZ pickups, multi-ply neck, and has a 34" scale neck (is 34" good or bad?) I figured on getting a Tech-21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI (I have the SansAmp GT-2 for my guitar) so that I could control alot of the sound thru the tube bass amp emulator. I'm tring to get something with a good punchy sound for blues and rock music. Any opinion's would be appreciated.

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Consider a Carvin B4 -- $489 plus options. Or build it yourself. They sell the same bass unassembled and unfinished for $339. Search this forum for "BK4" and "BK5". A few people here have 'em and like 'em. Saves $150 and better than Deans for sure. Go to www.carvin.com

I would recommend you listen to a Tech 21 Acoustic DI. It has the identical emulator circuit found in the Bass Driver, but instead of the Drive knob, you get a midrange sweep. This REALLY puts you in control. And the Gain knob covers the drive function fine in conjunction with the bass's volume control.

See my post under Effects, Bass Overdive thread.

[This message has been edited by Eli (edited March 31, 2000).]

3. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    The only potential problem I see with dean's and carvins is that they tend to have very low resale values... if you find one that plays well that you're into -- go for it!

it's more important that your first one feels right - if it doesn't then you won't play...

4. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    Thanks! Great info Eli! I will check out the Carvins. Please check out the other topic I started about Kramer Bass's. My guitar is a U.S. made Kramer and I love it. If the Kramer bass is anything like my guitar, then that would be great! I'm very interested in Tech-21's DI's, is the Acustic DI designed for bass guitar? I'll check out your thread. Thanks Again!

5. If you're looking for a blues bass, you should probably get a Fender. Probably most electric blues recordings out there used Fender basses. I've also found an old Gibson Ripper (NOT Grabber!) works very well for blues. It's very warm, yet very articulate. They are relatively cheap for a vintage instrument too. I got my '74 Ripper for $400.

6. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'll second what RobW said. If you're into recording blues, get yerself a Fender Precision. Maybe even put some flatwound strings on it.

The SansAmp Bass and Acoustic DI's are both good for recording bass, altough I've had very postive experiences with much cheaper DIs. As a matter of fact, I've use my Whirlwind IMP2 (about $40) more than the SansAmp. I just like the way my basses (mostly Fender J's) sound through this. Try a generic passive DI alongside the SansAmp, you may find that you don't need all the bells and whistles.

-GM

7. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you just want it for recording, and especially if you will use a preamp, find a used MIM P-bass.

You'll be able to color the sound with your preamp or recording gear, and if you want to get rid of the bass, it'll be easy to sell for what you paid for it. That is if you shop around first.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Gman (edited April 01, 2000).]

8. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    Dont laugh too hard at this but, what is this MIM bass I keep hearing about. I couldn't find it in the search engines. Please pardon my lack knowledge.

9. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    MIM is short for made in mexico (fender).Ill go along with the fenders P bass for blues as well with flats.Another excellent choice is the Epi JCS.I put flats on mine a short while back and its even better!Good luck!

10. budnjudy

budnjudy

Jan 20, 2000
    I also think that fender is a good choice. I have a 1981 G&L L1000 and it really is a very versatile bass and is great for playing blues but it is heavy and expensive. I also have a Schecter and love it. I think if you pick up a fender you will do fine. With the right effects it is amazing what you can do in a studio to help the sound.

------------------

11. What effects do you need on a Fender bass for blues? I'd probably go straight to tape and bypass the mixing console! I don't even use compression unless I'm threatened at gunpoint.

12. budnjudy

budnjudy

Jan 20, 2000
    Rob, you are right. I never used anything with my G&L. The bass boost switch gave it all I needed. However, and I didn't think when I wrote, since I "retired" the G&L, I have used my Schecter. I use a lot of effects with it and have gotten used to them. I completely forgot that a Fender has the best sound right out of the box. Thanks for reminding me.

------------------

13. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    Ok, I'm sold on going with a Fender. I found a used one on the net, its a Fender Precision Lyte 4 string Bass. "This model is the P-bass Lyte and it features a lightweight smaller body with a "J" type neck and Rosewood fingerboard. The pickups are the passive Fender "P/J" type and they are run through an active 2-band eq. system." It is a solid black guitar, has anyone here checked one out before?

14. You know, I've sort of rethought my statement that using effects on a bass for Blues is unecessary. It may be, but I suppose if we always did what was done before, we'd still be playing the Blues on a washtub bass on the porch!

I guess if you want to experiment, why not? [​IMG]

15. I'd think twice about the P-bass Lyte. IMO, the active eq in that bass is horrible. Very noisey. I've played several and the electronics sucked on all of them.

IMO, you'd be better off with an MIM Jazz bass or P-bass. I play in a blues trio andup until recently I played an MIM Jazz 5 string which I'm now trading for an American Standard Jazz 5. So I'm waiting for the brown truck with my new AS jazz 5 to arrive and playing a Fernandez P-bass until it does. (BTW the Fernandez P-bass is actually a pretty decent bass. It belongs to my brother and after doing a setup on it it plays pretty nice. But its not a Jazz bass. ;-) )

------------------
    Ciao
    Mike

16. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    Hey, what's the pros and cons of Fender P bass vs. Jazz as far as blues goes. I'm talking about SRV and Kenny W. Shepherd blues.

17. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have a Fender Precision Lyte Deluxe and I find the electronics to be very quiet plus it has a hotter output than my Ibanez,but then again I've never played or heard the Precision Lyte spoken of above.

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Tommy Shannon tended to use a J bass when playing with SRV. It's able to get a more cutting sound vs. the P by using the bridge pickup, either in conjunction with the neck p/u or alone. Not that the J is inherently better than the P, just different. I've always been a J guy myself, but the P is definitely a good choice for blues as well.

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You can't go wrong with a Fender. P or J.

20. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    dabluesman: If You are going for the blues.. try the Jazz Bass.. Here are the differences in the Jazz and P

1) Jazz has a more Brighter, Punchier tone
    2) Precision has more Solid, One type Sound
    3) J has 2 Single Coils like | | which makes the different type sounds
    4) P has a 1 P-style Pickup, which makes that one solid sound
    5) Jazz has a thinner neck @ nut, 1.5" i think and the P has a 1.675 or somethign like that
    6) Jazz has a more curvier, sexier body then P :D!

But overall, its up to you.. there are Jazz bass lovers.. Precision bass lovers.. Its all up to you, what kind of music you play and much more!! Good luck!!

DM