1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help gutting a Hartke 1155 combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keiththebassist, Jan 15, 2012.

1. So I'm off to buy an old Hartke 1155 combo that is supposedly in great shape. I want to pull out the 15" speaker and put it in my XL series cabinet that blew the original speaker. Also, I want to pull out the head to use on top of my full stack to replace my HA2000 in favor of higher power and a line out.

Has anyone ever done this?

I'm not really interested in using the tweeter, will it create an impedance issue if I leave it out of the mix?

Also, It has the Hartke transient attack 3500 head, does anyone know if it has been tweaked to work in the combo situation or is it exactly a 3500 head with all the same outputs in the back just simply in a combo box?

Thanks for any help, lots of TB and Google searching produced no answers...

2. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    why would you take that combo apart if you need everything? o_O just hook up the cab you have to it and that solves all of your problems xD

3. Well, for one thing I want to put it into a rack with some other gear. But also, It's hard to find info on it because it's discontinued, I couldn't find if it had a another output for an extension cab. Thanks

4. Also, I forgot to mention that I prefer a 4x10 cab stack so that's why I'm separating it from the 15. That speaker is going to replace a blown one that is going to be sold once repaired...

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I believe the head is just a 3500 slotted in, so it is completely useable seperate.
    350 watts at 4ohm, 240 at 8....Off you go

6. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    check for the output, put it on top of you 410 and connect it. Put the rack on top of everything and if you have too much empty space in rack get a blanking panel or put useless electronics in it (my friend has a old video recorder in rack, looks awsome :D)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Wow. I thought I was the only one who ever owned an 1155. I've never even seen one other than the one I had. I thought it was a pretty good sounding combo for a 115 + 5. It sounded a heck of a lot better than the Peavey 115 Combo I once had. I sold it to a friend of mine, and I still get to play it once in a while.

Anyway, the others are right. You can just pop the head out of the cab and use it elsewhere. However, I think the combo with the 5-inch speaker is going to sound a lot better than just a 115 cab.

8. Yep, I found one! I do think your right though about the combo sounding better than the cab. I think I'm going to take my HA2000 head and stick it in the combo and leave the speakers in there so I can sell it as a fully functional amp and then sell the empty 115 cabinet that had the blown speaker in it. I figure I could sell the combo with my old head in it for as much as I paid for it and essentially have a free head upgrade.

Played through the 3500 head last night, powering my 4x10 and even though it is essentially the same head, It just sounded better, perhaps its got fresher tubes, perhaps its all in my head :D

9. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I would like to find one of these- I had one years ago and it's a nice combo! Sounds great, fairly loud, and very portable. The closest thing I've seen to it now is the 2115 offered by Hartke- has a 200 watt head and one 15. I bet it's not the same at all...

Pardon the wake-up on this thread, but that's a nice amp. Don't know why they stopped it. But a tech friend of mine once said to me, as he was looking over a nice piece I'd brought him, "They don't make this anymore. That's because it doesn't suck. If it doesn't suck, they stop making it."

10. HotbassGJ

HotbassGJ

Mar 13, 2015
    Hey, I can't believe someone has an 1155 either! I got my first programming job in '95 and walked across the street on the first day and got an 1155 Combo and a Fender Jazz Bass Plus!

My Hartke is still working (but on the fritz) and I'm going to troubleshoot this thing. I found one site where a guy took it apart and fixed one. Do ya' think anybody is still poking around with these?