Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! hammer on playing two notes at once

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fodera of doom, Feb 13, 2006.

1. fodera of doom

fodera of doom

Jan 25, 2006
    athens,Ga
    I need help. I am having problems with my bass playing two notes at once when I'm playing hammer ons. I'm only hiting one string at a time but it sill dose it. Is it a trust rod problem or something?:confused:

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Are you muting the other strings?

3. If you are hammering on to an open string, you will set both halves of the string vibrating... so you are hearing the part between your finger and the bridge producing a note, and the part between your finger and the nut producing a note. Luckily, the pickup will only, um, pick up the part of the string vibrating over top of it, so it's only a problem while playing unplugged.

If this isn't the case... then I have no idea, other than, yeah... make sure you are muting the rest of the strings so you aren't setting them in motion through sympathetic vibration, as Kronos suggested.

EDIT: Just occured to me that it doesn't have to be an open string... but that's usually where it happens because most people don't stretch their hands enough to hammer on a note that far away. Though, it also shows up when tapping too, for the same reason.

4. the pickups will definitely pick up some of the other note if both halves of the string are vibrating. on one of my basses this doesnt happen, and on the other its a big problem. to stop both halves of the strings from vibrating you can use a scrunchie to mute the top half of the strings. the problem with this is that it mutes all open strings as well.

5. fodera of doom

fodera of doom

Jan 25, 2006
    athens,Ga
    the scrunchie did it.
    thanks!