Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Hartke HA4000 Protect Light Ruined My Solo.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SonofDadBass, Nov 5, 2005.

1. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hey Bassmates,

I bought a used Hartke HA4000 amp a few months ago.

I am using it with a 8 ohm 400 watt Gallien Krueger 410 cab and a Univox 1970s PBass Copy.

Typically about 4 or 5 songs into my set the amp starts going into protect mode which causes the amp to cut out.

It has a separate indicator for clip so I'm assuming it's not clipping.

Volume was at five. The low end of the EQ was below 3. The amp was not even warm to the touch.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

I checked the manual and it only describes the protect light as having to do with preventing noise when powering on or off.

I'm considering bringing it into a shop to see if maybe something is wrong with the electronics.

I'm also considering throwing it off the roof and buying a GK head to match the cab.

Thanks and take it easy,

Dan

2. Well, there's basically only a couple of possibilities.

First, there is the chance the amp is doing it's job--the amp might actually be going into protect mode for some reason like a defective speaker cord (shorting out), output jack shorting, or cab impedance too low. Did you buy the cab new--if it was used (or even if it was new) is there a chance that the cab was miswired to a 2 ohm load instead of 8....(let's see, four 8 ohm drivers wired in parallel, instead of series-parallel)...or different speakers installed, again yielding a 2 ohm load. A decent enough idea of the cab's impedance could be gotten by checking the cabs DC resistance with an ohmeter...

Check the speaker cable carefully, and the output jack on the amp, as well as the cab's input jacks.

The second option is that the protect circuit is indeed malfunctioning.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i've been using a HA4000 for years , never had any problems with it ...

i think nashvillebill has made a good suggestion ...

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    ...as long as it hasn't got an Accuswitch. Oh, it's a GK, that's alright then. ;) :D :bag: