1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Hartke lh500 died?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ObeyGiant, Jul 9, 2014.

1. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    So today I bought a squier bullet strat simply to have a guitar around to mess around on. So I get it home and tune it up and plug it into my lh500 since I dont have a guitar amp and I didn't think it would be a problem. So the cheap little strat sounded pretty good. Used my sansamp bddi with the drive turned up for a little distortion.

Everything went well and I was happy with the purchase. A few hours later I go back to show my buddy who stopped by and everything seemed to fire up but I had no sound. I blamed the guitar at first but everything looked to be okay so I tried my jazz and still nothing. Tried bypassing the pedals and plugging straight in and nothing no matter what cable I used. I tried hooking the head to a different cab and nothing.

I've had the amp for a couple years now - purchased off of the classifieds here and she has been really awesome. I've only used it lightly over the years. Like I said I used it today and it was fine and then a few hours later it turns on and makes that little click after the tube has worn up but I am not getting anything out of my speakers.

Playing a guitar through my bass amp couldn't have screwed that up could it? Like I said it comes on and acts like its going to work but I'm getting nothing. I don't really have the money to replace it especially considering that it looks like its working I'm just not getting any sound. Idk what to do.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Two things you can check...the effects loop jack and the tube. Try sticking a plug in each effects loop jack in and out several times fast. It can get corroded in there and cause a short that shuts down sound. If it works, get some contact cleaner and spray the jacks with it to really clean it. If that doesn't work, get another 12ax7 tube and replace it and see if it works. If it doesn't, then call Hartke. They have great CS, and you can even call Larry himself if you want to.

Splinter__ likes this.
  3. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Do what Jimmy said, and try both inputs and each speaker output. If all else fails, call Larry Hartke.

4. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Could it be a fuse? That would kill the sound for sure, but would the amp power up with the fuse blown?

I blew a fuse in a Hartke 3500 amp about 15 years ago.

5. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    I had an LH500, it was a powerful amp and they are dirt cheap but great quality. I highly doubt the guitar messed anything up, I would do what the above people are saying and if all else fails Hartke has an outstanding rep. for great customer service.

6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I know it sounds crazy but.... any time I ever played a guitar through a bass amp the amp felt much hotter than usual afterwards.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Doing it with the guitar was most certainly a coincidence.

Do what has been mentioned, as well as checking all cables, and report back.

If you have another amp around, you can use the effects loops to patch the 2 together to check the pre and power sections of the Hartke separately.

8. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    Thanks for all the replies. I tried plugging my speaker cable in and out of all the spots it would fit in. I always ran it directly from the speaker out to the back of my hydrive 112. Also I am very noob at amps in general.

When you guys says plug it into the effects loop, do you mean to plug the speaker cable into the effects return or send directly into the cab or something else?

I also opened it up to see if the tube was burnt out but I couldn't figure out what the tube was. There are two things that look similar and look like what I thought a tube looked like but I thought my amp only had 1 tube and there is one circular gold thing that doesn't look like a tube to me but maybe I am wrong.

If anything I said doesn't make any sense I can open it up again later and take a picture of the inside. Main question would have to be about the effects return and send and what you guys are saying to plug into it and/which one: return or send?

The 1/4 slides into the 8 ohm labeled outputs with relative ease but the effects return/send offers a bit more resistance.

I don't think this is the issue but to give a little more info about my setup is that I use a hydrive 112 with the ohm switch and since I bought it about a year ago I've used it with the horn turned off and by itself at 4 ohms. I've never used it in conjunction with my 410 transporter (I've been a fan of hartke for a bit now ever since I found how easy/cheap you can snag his stuff used for; this is the first problem I have had with anything hartke).

Again thanks to everyone for their help. I'm hoping I can get this thing working again asap without dumping a whole lot of money into it.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Instrument cable, not speaker. Only place you use speaker cable is to connect the speaker, otherwise use instrument cables. Plug one end into the send, the other into the return. If it works, it means your jacks are corroded.

IMG_1036.

See that shiny ring right behind the first tone knob? That's your tube covered by a tube retainer.

10. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    Ya I thought that was the tube. So the effects thing I'm still not completely understanding. How do I plug one end into the send and one end into the return if one end is gonna be in my instrument? I've never used the effects at all. Do I need to use my pedalboard to accomplish this?

11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Get _another_ instrument-level cable. A 6" pedal interconnect jumper cable is perfect.
    Plug one end into the send, and one end into the return.
    They're _supposed to be_ connected like this inside the case, but sometimes the little internal switches get corroded.
    You're bypassing that internal loop with an external loop.
    Sometimes it works.
    Check the fuse first...

12. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    Oh wow thanks. I plugged in a cable into both effects send and return and it wasn't working so I tried a different cable and lo and behold it works. Will leaving it plugged in like that hurt it after long enough time or should I get some contact cleaner asap?

13. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
  14. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That should do. Give the jacks a spray and then work the plugs in & out a few times.

15. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a RadioShack close by where I get mine. You might be able to find it pretty quickly at a local electronics store etc.

16. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Feb 26, 2012
    Cookeville, TN
    Thanks a lot everyone! I am disabled and can't drive due to seizure laws in TN currently so I will most likely buy it online to save myself the hassle of getting a ride and all that. I will report back here once I officially fix the problem thanks a lot everyone! Talkbass has never let me down and I always recommend it to anyone who is interested in the bass! Much love!

Tbone76, jjk2007 and JimmyM like this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Glad it worked out, bro!

18. Great story and good info for the rest of us.