1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help... Have you tried Reverend basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretlessFatty, Jan 11, 2016.

1. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm very interested in the newer Reverend basses -- meaning, basses POST Rumblefish... yeah, yeah, I know the Rumblefish is awesome and the new ones aren't as good... now that we have that out of the way...

I'm thinking about these three: Decision bass, Justice bass, and Mercalli 4.

I want a four-stringer.

I know that the Decision is P/J-ish. And the Justice is J-ish. I'm not sure what the Mercalli 4 would compare to.

Has anyone actually TRIED them? I keep trying to find a local place that has them in stock so I can actually put them into my hands and listen with my own ears, but no luck. And there aren't really many video sound samples out there to help.

So, can YOU help? Have you tried any of them? Thanks!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I haven't TRIED any Reverend basses, BUT, I'm intrigued by your capitalization CHOICES.

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I tried a Mercalli 5-string and was very impressed. Great tone, light weight and on my GAS list.

4. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm glad this INTRIGUED you, BUT, it wasn't a very helpful RESPONSE. :p

Thanks... The only decent sound sample I've heard online was for the Mercalli 4, and it sounded pretty good. But it's really hard to tell from a Youtube video. Light weight is good to hear.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I TRIED one once, but it was not plugged IN. Don't remember where that was, but but remember I didn't particularly LIKE the feel. That doesn't however amount to a whole lot now, does it? I know that at the time they were POPULAR, some people were really falling for them. Used to be a lot of people here using them. I ALMOST picked one up when they were blowing out their inventory at killer prices, but DECIDED against it. I have very mild regrets about that. They only pop up when people start posting pics of THEIRS as is probably going to start happening in this thread now. Not SURE why I actually even responded.

I know why.

Couldn't resist the invitation to be UNNECESSARILY obnoxious.

Hope I succeeded.

6. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes, well done. I'm sorry that my capitalization was ANNOYING apparently. ;-) I guess I hadn't realized that there are other options for highlighting. Now I know. But it would be nice to get some feedback on something other than capitalization choices.

nateh415, flojob and Joe Nerve like this.
  7. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I LIKE the looks of the black Thudergun.

nateh415 and Syxz_ML like this.
  8. FretlessFatty

FretlessFatty

Nov 23, 2012
    I like the looks of all of them... wondering how they sound to folks.

9. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    I played the Thundergun, Mercalli, and Decision. Liked them all quite a bit but the Thundergun stood out to me. Mercalli has the same pickups and was a close second. All felt really well built. All sounded pretty agressive. The split coil is full sounding but I wouldn't call it "fat" or " old school". The single coil seemed a bit thin compared to the soap bars.

nateh415 likes this.
  10. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    I assume you've seen this.

11. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Also this.

GregC and vegas532 like this.
  12. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    I play the old Rumblefish and were interested in the new basses. As you've heard before, they're very different animals, which turned me off for a while. Reverend always seems to shoot for an affordable instrument that makes different choices about what to emphasize when compared to other makers. Nothing drastic, but different. They also have their own take on style, shape and color which happens to appeal to me.

I can tell you that the ones I played (Decision, Justice) sounded great when compared with the vintage J's (not reissues) I was comparing them with in the store. Tone was excellent, and the pickup configurations were what you would expect for versatility with a P/V/T setup. However, with the new basses, the necks are much modern in configuration than the old ones, which kept me away. My impressions were that the new necks were wider, shallower, and with a flatter radius. Just not what I was looking for.

13. I'm equally INTRIGUED, by your, use of, COMMAS ;)

Raulplaysbass, nateh415 and 99Z3 like this.
  14. I tried either a decision or a justice at a shop in Saratoga this summer and my hands and ears were impressed.

But I'm a shorty guy - a Dub King may cure my GAS forever.

15. Fxpmusic

Fxpmusic

Jul 5, 2013
    I couple of stores I visit has them and I very impressed. I've played a couple and they rocked. Since I wasn't in the market and knew much about them, I'm not sure which ones I've tried (I think the decision). I've been mildly gassing for one but I really don't need another bass and can't convince myself I do (yet).

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Totally FASCINATED, by the, pointlessness of finishing sentences, in THESE responses, without PERIODS and too many, COMMAS

ALSO, did you notice, the DOUBLE dash, "--", in the OP? Intriguing INDEED :whistle:

You don't see, THAT, everyday

Raulplaysbass and AshInAmsterdam like this.
  17. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yes. They are great basses. They play really nicely and sound great. And the workmanship is excellent. They are really nicely done. I don't have one yet cuz I have a Rumblefish 4 and 5 that keep me happy but I have eyes for the Reverend Justice bass. One day...

18. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I've tried several Reverend basses... There seem to be a bunch here in Toronto, for some reason, even though I never see ppl playing them on stage. Dunno whats up with that.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE the Mercalli 4. That instrument is the BUSINESS. Great balance, easy to play neck, great pickups... I just really loved that bass. Tried to buy it a couple weeks later but it sold before I got there. I later tried the Justice, which is basically a hot rodded jazz and really enjoyed that one too. I also played the Decision and didn't really like that one as much because the volume difference was too much for me and there didn't seem to be any way to really fix it.

Overall, I give the Reverend basses two thumbs up. They look cool, play great and are a decent price, for what you get especially compared to Fender pricing.

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I gave a serious try to the Dub King and Mercalli 4 in a local shop. I prefer my Rumblefish to either.

20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They were on my GAS list from seeing them online - very cool-looking. But I never got to try some out until a couple showed up in a local store a couple of months ago. I lost interest after trying them out. Tone was fine, didn't blow me away but sounded like a bass. The neck was very chunky - some people love it, but I'm a jazz-neck guy. I didn't try them on a strap, but balance on my lap wasn't happening. They seemed neck-heavy but I would need to put one on a strap to say for sure. For my tastes, I didn't find anything going on other than the looks to make me really want to spend money on one.