help help emergency, i may kill, pickup install help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mingusmangus, Mar 26, 2004.

1. mingusmangus

Mar 26, 2004
    So after much delay I got my SD 1/4 pound jazz pickups in the mail. After wiring it up I got no signal. Rechecking schematic, rewired it all, still the same. I get a buzz from my amp, and when i touch the magnets on the pickups, the buzzing gets louder, so there must be some signal. I know this is impossible to diagnose without seeing it, but any possible issues to look for would be great. I'm just completely lost and it looks like I'll be up til 5 developing a healthy eye twitch. thanks
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you might check the polarity on the pickups, and make sure your output is grounded properly.
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    If you have a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) I'd check and make sure that all components (pots, switches, bridge, output jack) are all grounded together properly. That's probably where your problem is. Also verify that you haven't crossed some wires on the P/U. If that doesn't correct your problem, check the P/U coils by measuring the resistance on the coils. If the Ohms = 0 (zero) the P/U coil is shorted out; if the Ohms = infinite (7 gazillion Ohms; actually no deflection of the VOM needle) the P/U coil is open. either would indicate a bad P/U.
    Good luck!
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this is a setup issue, not a bass issue. i'll move it there presently. good luck :)
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Do you have strings on the bass?! :D
  6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    If properly grounded you should get less not more hum. Your lead wires are probably inverted. Pups aren't always wired according to the schemes. Reverse your lead wires. The leads will have continuity to each other, the ground won't. Also check to make sure no hots are grounding out. If you unsoldered anything from the jack, check it to make sure your wires aren't backwards there. If your getting no signal at all, it's probably the jack.