Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP HELP! please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Nov 27, 2003.

1. ha, after researching, hating myself forever, i finally decided on buying the Ampeg 4x10, 15 classic cabs. Sounds great, but my b2r head is peaking out like crazy.
    what head should i get now, while staying in the ampeg range.
    thanks, zach

2. yeah, I got the same head as you, it sure does suck :bawl: im hoping adding an avatar 410 to my 210 will let me be a little louder. Its too late to return it, and the guys at daddys said i was crazy when i brought it to them saying it wasnt loud enough

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you like the Ampeg sound, how about buying a separate poweramp and using the B2R as a preamp?

If you buy a pro quality poweramp you'll have it forever and can swap out preamps and cabinets as your needs/wants change.

I use a QSC PLX2402...it has all the power I'd ever want and it only weighs 21 lbs (IIRC).

Note to a e i o u...obviously the guys at Daddy's have never used a B2R...as we all seem to agree...great sounding amp...not enough steam.

4. they played it with me at the store and were like "woah thats loud" they are very professional too.:spit:

5. yeah, i dont know about those QSC, i don't really understand them, because i have never really read up on them, what exactly do they do?

6. Inside a head, what makes the clipping? Is it because the pre amp sucks, or the power amp? Couldn't you use an RBI as a preamp and have it by pass the head's preamp to be louder with out clipping? Or is it the power amp's fault

7. Also, if you get a SVT3pro or whatever, do you have to have a poweramp, or something.. or couldn't you just run that. would that be easily enough power to run 4x10 15, or even run 8x10s?
    or would you need another poweramp on it?

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's the poweramp's fault for not putting out enough power...or really Ampeg's fault for rating the amp as they did....most people that use them find that they don't get as loud as most other 350 watt amps.

a e i o u - Saying "Whoa that's loud" in the store and being able to say "Whoa that's loud on the band stand with a hard hitting drummer and a guitarist or two with a 50 or 100 watt tube half stack are two completely different things.

Macbeth56 - QSC is a brand of power amp. A power amp takes the signal from a preamp (or preamp output of an integrated amp (like the B2R with a preamp and poweramp in one box) and boosts the signal to drive speakers. Power amps have an input sensitivity rating (usually in either Volts or dBU) and an output power rating in watts at a given impedance (usually 2, 4 or 8 ohms).

Modern power amps are usually stereo (2 channels) and can be used as either an amp with two independent channels or in the bridged mode where you interconnect the channels to create a more powerful, single channel amp.

In the case of the QSC PLX2402...it can produce about 700 watts per channel into 4 ohms or if you bridge it, 2400 watts into one 4 ohm load (or two 8 ohm loads connected in parallel).

Probably TMI, but I couldn't think of a way to pare it down much...

9. ha, thanks, nope not too much info. So waht if I just got a SVT3 pro.. wouldnt i be able to use that, and just that, and that would be easily enough power for 4x10 and a 15, or even enough for 8x10s?

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sure it would work...but 450 watts isn't enough more than 350 to hear any volume difference. I don't know if SVT3-Pro users complain about lack of power like B2R users do.

How much more would it cost to buy a SVT3-Pro once you sold the B2R? If its a lot, you might be better off keeping the B2R as a preamp/practice amp and adding a good used pro quality power amp for gigs, etc.

11. umm.. i think b2rs sell on ebay anywhere from 300-400. And the SVT3pros sell anywhere around 600-800

so about 300-400.
    Once I saw a b4r going for like, 600, and sold that cheap. arent b4rs like 1,000 watts.. i think that would easily be enough.

what do you think?

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Probably,

The B4R basically has two B2R poweramps in the same box and a preamp that is very similar.

If you're happy with the sound of the B2R, you can get a good used QSC PLX1602 for not much more than the difference. That amp would give you 1600 watts bridged into 4 ohms.

13. yeah, so does the QLX thing just like.. add power to my head, like sends more watts? The b4r also has this thing like a style chooser, so I think it would be just as good as my head, but more things to choose from, and more power. Would the b4r be able to push 8x10s?

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would say go for the SVT-3 pro, loud as hell at 4 ohms, which you would be running it at. Serioulsy, in a band situation, with the 10 DB boost cranked, my gain at 12 oclcok, and my master at 9 oclock, and i was overpowering everything else, it owns!