1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

[HELP: Hernia!] Lightweight Power Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, May 2, 2006.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Here's the deal. I had a doctor's appointment last night and I got some news I was dreading: I've got a hernia.

I'm pretty sure part of it comes from lugging my bass amp around by myself all the time. So now I must part with my Ampeg SVT3-Pro and Avatar B212 for something lighter.

I've already decided on an Avatar SB112 Neo 1x12" covered in tolex (dunno what color yet). What I then need is a lightweight poweramp that I can run my Bass POD Live into.

I see that Carvin offers a pretty lightweight poweramp, the DCM1000 for $329 and weighs only 25 lbs. This means together, my rig would weight only about 80 lbs. plus the POD. Having read the current thread about Carvin poweramps, I am pretty confident that this is the setup for me. It also fits my budget very nicely.

I believe I can attach a telescoping handle and casters to the cab and then get a rolling rackcase or lighter rackbag, and my POD travels in a piece of luggage.

ALSO! Anyone care to share their hernia stories! I got in next Tuesday for a consultation with a surgeon. I'm 18, and I've already got a hernia.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Acoustic Image Focus SA.... 800 watts into 4ohms...about 4 pounds and the size of a typical hardback novel.

If you want something rack mounted, the two space Steward stuff (the 1.6 or larger) gets very good reviews and is very lightweight.

3. Before you go nuts buying and selling ask your doctor what caused the hernia. I had a friend who had a hernia at 17 and he never lifted squat besides the tv remote. I think at your young age it might have more to do with genetics or a physical abnormality than lifting stuff. But I'm no doctor - I just think you might want to ask!

And remember, never lift anything yourself if there are people to help (and you should make sure there are people to help), casters are your friend (but be sure you get the ones that lock so your stuff don't roll away) and lift with your legs, not your back!

Good luck with your surgery! Oh, and make sure to show girls your scar!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    interesting thoughts AGH,

but in the meantime, empty-man, take one of these and call me in the morning. :p

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have a hernia too :(

Lightweight power amps (under 25lbs from lightest to heaviest). All are at least 800W into 4 ohm bridged
    Acoustic Image Focus SA - 4 lbs
    Stewart World Series (1.2, 1.6, 2.1) around 11-17 lbs
    Soundtech PS802 - 15 lbs
    Peavey DPC1400 - 15 lbs
    QSC PLX Series - 21 lbs
    Crest 200 series - 21 lbs

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    yeah what he said^.

I just got the ART SLA-2, that bugger is way heavy for it's size.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The two smaller PLX2 amps are 13 pounds.
    Crown XTi series - 17 pounds.
    Bose sells a light one too.

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

9. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    The thing about living with a hernia is that the first spec I look at when choosing an amp, cabinet, etc is the weight.

I wish they had the DB750 when my back was younger and healthier.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    eh,

that's the first spec i look for too thx to me granny granniness.

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The Peavey is wonderful. (I have the previous model DPC1000) If you don't need a lot of power, check out this. 250 watts and goes for $399 at Musician fiend:

[​IMG]

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    A couple more thoughts:
    The QSC/PLX is good, I use one...
    Thunderfunk at ~20lbs
    Don't forget Schroeder Light neo equipped cabs...
    The Carvin B1500 is good too...

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
  14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Another fine choice. I tend to forget them as I've not had the chance to play them. I read lots of good stuff about them tho...

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Stewart World 1.2 get my +1.

There is somebody here on Talkbass that is selling one for $435. Check out the for sale forums.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I keep hearing that the 1.2 shuts down if it gets too hot. It's the only reason why I havn't bought the one that's for sale here already.

17. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    hmm... but indeed they are light :)

18. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    It'll happen when you bridge at 4 ohm, and run lots of volume out of it. Also, you need to have an open rack space above it for it to cool properly.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Three herniated/degenerative disks in my lower back. My amp of choice is the Stewart World 2.1: 2100 watts bridged, just 17 pounds. I love my tube preamps, but my SansAmp RBI is significantly lighter than any of 'em. I'm seriously thinking of going with an RBI/2.1 rack.

I'm currently saving my pennies for neo-loaded speaker cabs... Schroeder or Epifani, likely.

20. Why would you have to have a lightweight head? You're still carrying a 30-40lb cabinet around, no need to limit yourself. Light IS awesome, but remember it's not how much weight it is total, it's how much you are lifting at a time as well as how you are lifting it.

With that said, I think the peavey would be sweet! There's one in the for sale forum for like 600 right now, single rack space mmm!