Help! Hey! Over here!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Denomar, Jan 18, 2004.

1. O_O I got this video on playing bass and it came with a tuning section... I have tuned my bass in EXACTLY to the video... and it is completely out of tune compared with everyone elses basses! O_O
    Relp! Anyone know how to tune a bass without the means of cd, video or tuner?!!!!!! O_O
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Your VCR either runs too slow or too fast.

Oh, and please do not cry wolf for such a trivial question. Questions get answered within minutes here anyway. Wrong forum too;)
  3. You have no idea how scary it is to me to realize that kids born in the 1990s are starting to get into high school.
  4. mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Go to a piano, or find a verifiably tuned pitch and tune one of your strings to that. You can then either (if you have a piano) tune the rest of your strings to those pitches or use harmonics to tune the rest of your strings.

This is how the old people had to do it. ;)
  5. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

...that's if the piano's in tune... My buddy's piano is perfectly tuned...a half step down... :)

He didn't like me telling him this...

You can get a tuner for $20 or less...its a VERY worthy investment.
  6. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
  7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you lived in the US, the dial tone is a A 440Hz. So pick up the phone and you have an A.

But since you live elsewhere, see if you can find the pitch of something with a constant pitch like the beep of a microwave oven, telephone dial tone, fluorescent bulb, etc. and use that as your reference tone to tune to.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    You have no idea how scary it is to me to realize that kids born in the 1980s are starting to get into college!
  9. i live in canada, and i would think it would be fairly similar, but i held my phone up to my tuner (i know, way too much time on my hands) and it wasn't any tunable note. has anyone actually checked the tuning on the dial tone in the states? guitar player recently had his parents' piano tuned, and then we used it to record for our CD. all the piano recordings are out by about a quarter-tone. i think it'll be processed and corrected, but still. you'd think a piano tuner would tune the piano to concert pitch.

on the other hand, what are the chances that that piano in someone's home will be played with instruments tuned to exact concert pitch?

on another note, i was born in the 80's, and am graduating this year from a 5-year degree, after doing 5 years of high school.
  10. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You have no idea how scary it is to me to realize that kids born in the 1950 are joining AARP...
  11. I seems to me that there are two issues here, and we need to consider them separately.

a) for a beginner to tune a bass, an electronic tuner will help them get it right, so that they can get on with learning to play.

b) when you want to play something with others, you either all tune up with the tuner, simple if it is just guitars, or you all tune to the thing that cannot be adjusted, e.g. the rehearsal room piano, the cassette/CD backing track etc.

To do (b) without a tuner, you need to learn how to listen, so that you can hear when something is not quite in tune (and whether it is above or below where it should be).
  12. i have a great "clean" open E....
    The beggining of "Around the world"...

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So... we're talking about 13 year olds and younger...:meh:

That's when you go to HIgh School in the US?

I started playing bass when I was about 13 or 14 - but I was at what we in England called "Secondary" school - well I actually called it "Grammar School" , but I think that was the official designation.

So - Primary School Education is from about 5 to 11 and Secondary Education is from 12 to 18.
  14. You have just scared the **** out of me. just realized this, oh God ...

I'm DOOMED !!

No wonder their are midgets in my school.
  15. I forgot this method. there's also a great open E at the beginning of 'yellow ledbetter' by 'pearl jam.'
  16. most kids born in the 1990s arnt in highschool yet most of them next school year, year after that though theere are a few as far as I know