Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!!! how do you hook up your Rane DC24 compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguppy, Dec 16, 2005.

1. I have a gig tomorrow nite.

I have finally received my new Ashdown RPM-1 preamp and am trying to hook up my Rane DC-24 compressor up. It is an older model from 1990, it only has XLR input & outputs. I do not biamp and run my power amp bridged. On the preamp I will be using the full range input.

I went to the Rane site & looked up the DC24 but am having a difficult time deciphering(sp) the manual. If anyone wants to give it a shot & give their opinion it will be HUGELY appreciated. I could do the gig without the compressor but you know how it is when you have new toys. :D

for reference:

http://www.rane.com/pdf/dc24man.pdf

and

http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/bass/detail.asp?ID=2

I already have a male XLR to 1/4 & female XLR to 1/4.

thanks!!!!

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I run mine after my preamp, and it seems to work very well like that.

Use a TRS->XLR cable to run your preamp output into the "Ch1/Crossover in" connection.

Use a XLR cable to connect the "CH2 high / combine out" to your power amp.

Keep the crossover engage "out" (this is confusing, but "out" is recombine mode), set the input gain to unity (+4dbu), and fire the bad boy up!

For settings, I like the crossover around 800hz, the low ratio around 1.5:1, the high ratio a little above 2:1, then adjust the thresholds so you get 6db gain reduction on the lows with your strongest fingerstyle, and 6db gain reduction on the highs with you strongest slap or pop.

Shes a complicated beast, but will sound wonderful once you get it dialed in.

3. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    Do get back to me once you've read it...

RC

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If your effects loop can be set to 'pre' rather than post, I would put the compressor there. If not then it could go in the effects loop or after the pre and it won't really matter although one may sound better than the other. You'll have to experiment there.

The reason for going in the 'pre' effects loop is that the effects loop volume level won't change as you turn up the input gain. That means that the compressor sees the same input level regardless of how you work with your volume control during a set.

If your effects loop doesn't work that way - or you decide that you like the sound of the unit after your pre, then be aware that as you turn up your pre you're going to drive the compressor closer to thresh-hold so you get more compression. In that case as you turn up on the pre or do anything else that increases the signal leaving the pre and going to the compressor, you also have to turn the threshold up or you get correspondingly more compression.

On my GK head, the effects loop is post, so increasing the input gain means I have to also increase threshold or my sounds begins to squish. My only complaint about the otherwise wonderful GK 1001 RB II.

You can easily wire a 1/4 TS plug to an XLR and in the short cable lengths in your rack it's no big deal.. Not eactly sure on the pin-outs but I made a few of those a while back. I can tear one down if nobody else chimes in with the correct pin configuration. I used those from a Demeter pre to a Rane X-over.