1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help!How to replace a BB614 bridge pick-up?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daryo, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Daryo

Daryo

Nov 14, 2005
    Hi everybody,I need some help to find out a pick-up replacement for my Yamaha BB614 bridge pick-up because shape is different from standard J pick-up and cannot find a direct replacement for it:crying: .
    The BB614 is a great bang for the bucks and i think it's weakest part are the pick-ups,I want to change them both so any suggestion would be appreciated..
    Daryo

2. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Ive replaced pup's in both my BB300 basses. The standard size P and J pups are smaller, however, I just filled the org pu holes with toothpicks/superglue and just drilled new holes to fit for standard pups. You will have a gap around the pups but to me its no big deal. I would replace both P/J pups with Basslines, Fender re-issue, etc... so it looks the same for the neck and bridge area, you wont notice the gap as much.

3. Daryo

Daryo

Nov 14, 2005
    Thanks for your reply,but I'd like to save the original look as much as possible...do you think that a 51'Precision pickup would fit in BB614 smallish bridge pick-up?They look nearly the same...but I wonder if a 51'Precision pickup would sound punchy enough in bridge position..

4. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    You would probably run into string spacing issues with a neck pup like a 51 P in the bridge position, thats why you see different sizes for the J pups although they look the same. The bridge is longer to accomodate the wider string spacing near the bridge. The only other suggestion would be to look at some of the humbucker pups like the ones in the Fender delux basses, their bigger then normal J pu, and may look and sound great?

5. Maybe you can take the cover off the old pickups?

6. Daryo

Daryo

Nov 14, 2005
    I already own a Deluxe JAzz and find the pickups not hot enough,the issue with this BB614 is that bridge pickup is small,looks like a '51P shape,so no J o humbucker will fit in,but the pickup has a metal plate around it,I have to check really big is the cavity inside.
    By the way,height adjustment with this pickup is different from usual,if you turn screws clockwise it will rise and not lower...mmm...anybody knows if 51'Precision pickup does the same?