Help - how to ship a cabinet when selling?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Moesle, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I need advise, please.

I'm selling a used bass cabinet via ebay, and I need to know the cheapest, easiest, and/or best way to ship it to the purchaser.

Which service should I use, how should it be packed/boxed, etc.

Thanks to anyone who has done this before.
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Think about it: If you had the winning bid on that, you would then only have to find five more almost-square pieces of cardboard and you could make a box to ship your cab in!

3. What type of cabinet? 4 x 10? 2 x 10? I think the best is through UPS Ground Insured. Are you getting the buyer to pay for the shipping? I hope you do. Cabinets are pretty tough, but you can always go to your local GC or Mars or local music store and ask if they have boxes laying around, they'll give it for free, filll with foam peanuts and you are set.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its a 2x15 cabinet that I'm selling, buyer is paying shipping.

The problem is that I'm trying to buy a used Eden 410 XLT, and the seller is claiming that UPS won't insure it unless its packed a certain way. That, and actual zips on the UPS web site calculates shipping from Chicago to Ohio to be $63, and he's claiming he was quoted $140 due to "oversize".

What I thought could be done is a simple wrap-around of large bubblewrap, then wrap it with a sheet of cardboard, taping the bejeezus out of it.

Is there a problem that I'm unaware of?
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would take it to a packing service and let them ship it insured! The buyer's already expecting $140 - I bet a good shipping service can do it for less, and get it there undamaged, to boot.
  6. Or you can have them pack it for you and you drop it off at UPS Counter. DO NOT, DO NOT USE MAIL BOXES ETC for Shipping, they'll rip you off.
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    UPS shipping is a factor of weight AND the volume of the package. (LxWxH) I believe that a 215 cabinet would exceed the maximums that UPS has for shipping. You may have to use a freight compnay like Yellow Freight or something.

You can always input the data at the ups site to see if it is too big, but the rule is if the package exceeds a total of 130 inches (length + girth, where girth is 2 x width plus 2 x height), UPS will not ship it.

So let's assume your cab is 48" tall, 24" wide and 18" deep. That would be 48+(2X24)+(2X18)=132" which is already too big and we haven't added for the packing.

FWIW, I shipped a Carvin 410 in the original packaging last year. The cost was about $60. The Eden is heavier. The dude is either trying to hose you, or he is using a broker like Mail Boxes Etc. which basically doubles the standard UPS rate.

8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    1) Go to the nearest GC/Scam Cash/Music Staples early Saturday morning.

2) Take the boxes they have lying around out back (or out front). Don't ask, just take. But be discreet.

3) Newspaper. Lots and lots of newspaper. Packing peanuts don't do squat with an item that large.

4) No COD. If the buyer stiffs you, UPS will come after you for nonpayment. That's right.