HELP!!! how to take off a fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by shock2system, Sep 3, 2002.

1. I have an old fender bass and I need to take the fingerboard off the neck (im putting in LED'S) does anybody have any tip on how to do this safely?? :confused:
  2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I recently had a problem with an ABM trussrod on a custom neck I built.

I had to remove the ebony fretless fingerboard.
    Here is my method (note that it relies on the glue type used for glueing the fingerboard - in my case, standard yellow titebond).

You will nedd a sharp knife, 95° or more alcohol and a brush.
    At the body end of the neck, start applying alcohol with the brush on the glue joint. When the glue starts to disolve, gently insert the knife on the joint. Then, the job is only a matter of patience because you'll have to keep applying alcohol in the joint, moving the blade towards the nut, hammering it slowly on each sides.

If you take your time, you'll remove the board with no crack, just ready to re-glueing after the alcohol has evaporated.

Note that some company can install leds into your neck without fingerboard removal. It's a safer method because, removing the board the way I've just explained is a bit risky with a fretted one. Chances of breakin the board at a fret slot could be great, depending on the fgbd thickness and wood...

Hope it helps.

3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  4. I know theres comp's that do it and sim's is a good one but the why i want it they said it would be about 1000 buck and i have all the stuff to do it mysalf and it only ost 15 so $1000 or $15???
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I don't want to pick a fight but you did ask how to remove the fretboard. This means that you have never done it before.

1000 to 15 is a no brainer but how much are necks?

Might be an idea to practice on a Warmouth Thrift Shop neck first.
  6. os the neck on it right now is really nice and fast and i took a long time to De-fret it
  7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I generally remove fingerboards with a clothes iron. Apply heat long enough and the glue will start to run. I generally forget about trying to use the old fingerboard again. They tend to bend as they come off.

Removing a fingerboard is not easy however you do it, and you run a risk of damaging the neck.