1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! I’m About to Buy My “Holy Grail” Bass and I Don’t Need It

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Fat Ol Bear

Fat Ol Bear

Feb 26, 2020
    Are you serious? You should know by now that being able to afford it or its resale value has nothing go do with whether or not you are going to buy it. Do you like it? Do you want it? Pull the trigger! Nuff said!

Mitchell Wild likes this.
  2. Mitchell Wild

Mitchell Wild

May 5, 2020
    I'm the last one who should give any advice about buying more basses. I have nine right now and have owned many more over the years. However, If you want it and can afford it, then buy it. You only have this one life, so enjoy it. I had an EBMM Stingray Classis in natural ash and birdseye maple. I sold it when I needed some cash for something else. The biggest mistake of my life. Of all the various basses I have owned, that one was my favourite. Buy it and enjoy it, and don't sell it.

Mitch, London UK.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  3. teembass

teembass

Feb 27, 2019
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I don't know much about EBMM basses, but to quote Cousin Eddie . . . “She's a beaut, Clark!”
    If you got the $$$, then buy it!!

4. Gusdfunk

Gusdfunk

Aug 10, 2017
    Bay Area
    There is no shortage of MM Sterling basses out there.... how is this a Holy Grail? Doesn't HG imply that it's somewhat hard to get either by price (really expensive e.g. Wal) or availability (truly rare e.g. '57 strat). Is it the color or the year (2010) that he's hot for? Even if it is a personal holy grail to the OP... this is still a fairly usual bass, no? (Tangent -- words/phrases we hate to see in listings: 1) Rare (rare does not always mean valuable) 2) "Plays like Butter" 3) "Thinning the herd" 4) (too few pictures and the bass is like $1.5K). 5)the seller telling you the value of parts to justify the asking price 6) describing a fretless bass as having "zero fret wear" 7) (if you're not snickering by now, you might need edit your Reverb ad.)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    coy garcia likes this.
  5. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    Agreed. To me a HG bass would be something of a unicorn either rare or unique. I have a MM that never leaves it's case. My next HG bass is a handmade Bruce Johnson walnut fretless ampeg aub style. My last HG bass was a 66 ampeg baby bass.

6. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    You’re right. It’s merely a great bass, not truly a Holy Grail. It’s still in production. The price is pretty good ($2,000 vs. $2,400 if I ordered it from EBMM) but nothing earth-shattering. That’s one reason I decided to bag it.

However, the roasted maple neck and red body finish are indeed dreamy.

7. John Stephen

John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    I will be interested to hear your impressions of the Reverend. I'm having a ball with mine.

selowitch likes this.
  8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yes, thank you! The Reverend arrives Saturday. Oh, and I acquired a Fender Jazz Bass yesterday too—so that was a NBD.

mjm666 and John Stephen like this.
  9. Gusdfunk

Gusdfunk

Aug 10, 2017
    Bay Area
    Still for sale on Reverb! It's time to stop cutting bait and go get your fish!

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Patience, my friend. I’m going to sell some stuff, solidify my position, and buy when I have a bit more cash.

11. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Readers of this thread might find my parallel NBD Day post to be of interest.

12. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    Why does the word "NEED" always have to wedge itself into these decisions?

13. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    There a utilitarian need on the one hand and the kind of need familiar to an addict on the other.

14. True friends know what's best for you.

15. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    True for all of us! Enjoy!

16. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Bokeelia, Fl.
    none
    I regret not buying that 65 rick bass for $200.00 way back in the early 70s. buy it. you won't have bruises on your hind end from kicking yourself for years and years.

17. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
  18. John Stephen

John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    I hope you enjoy the Reverend as much as I enjoy mine.

selowitch likes this.
  19. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Initial impression is very positive. The appearance is unbeatable. The sound will take getting used to but it’s very powerful.

John Stephen likes this.
  20. John Stephen

John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Indeed it is. My Reverend is more clear and vibrant than any other bass guitar I can remember playing.

Anyway, congrats.