HELP i am crappin' myself

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 7, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i have to do a big concert with my band in school next there are gonna be about 600 people! and i really need some tips on how play live any suggestions will be taken...just help me please! we are performin' Whole lotta love -cool!
  2. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Just play what you'd normally play when you practice, unless you can improvise well?

If this is your first gig, so what if you screw up, just go out and have fun, but if you do make a mistake, just ignore it and keep on playing...

...when I jam with my buddies I always stop playing when I screw up( I dont know why, I just do), some times I'll keep going, but I perfect my lines so I DONT screw up, ....

P.S.-- Just go out and have a good time.... AND DONT SCREW UP!!!! ;)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Assuming that you have your lines down cold, look like you're having a good time, even if you aren't. Not only will it take care of your nerves, but there will be a lot of non-musicians in the audience, and showing that you are having a good time makes them have a good time, which means they LIKE YOU!!!

It also conveys to them that you are in total control of your instrument. Even looking angry is better than looking like you're waiting for a bus.

If the nerves are a problem, a trick that public speakers use is to look out into the audience just above the heads of the last row. You're really looking at the lower back wall, but to the the audience, it looks like you're making eye contact.

What snowblind said about ignoring your mistakes is so true. If you've ever seen an olympic ice skater or a professional dancer slip on stage, they don't pause. They just keep on going as if nothing happened.

Knock `em out!!!
  4. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks Rickbass!!!! I feel so special when sombody agrees with me! :)
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    yeah don't stop if you slip up, just keep moving and forget about it if you do - DONT GET HUNG UP ON IT - pros slip up, it's just not obvious because they don't give any indications that they made a mistake - just keep the flow moving and you'll be da man

keep playing the lines you will need for the show until you can do it in your sleep, preferably with your bandmates so everyone has the grooves down

don't think of it as playing for strangers - I like to pretend I'm playing for close friend in the audience, it puts me at ease - this will make you (and in turn them) more comfortable - no one wants to play for strangers the first time, pretend they are buds :)

oh and, I believe this carries over from public speaking as well - don't forget to breathe! if you are getting butterflies before you take stage, breathe deep and exhale completely each time - relax, and know that you will be ok - by the time you get up there it's go time anyway, so you may as well enjoy yourself man

try to look at ease and like you are enjoying what you are doing or it can make the audience feel awkward - make eye contact when possible as people have mentioned - the best way to look at ease is to feel at ease - the best way to do that is take the advice given by everyone so far....HAVE FUN!

Break a leg! :)
  6. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    You are nervous because you care. This is a technique that may help; just before you go on try to heat up your hands. Just concentrate with all your might on heating them up. It can be done. There are two reasons for doing this.

1 You are creating Alpha wave patterns that will make you feel relaxed and in the right frame of mind to do something requiring concentration.

2 Its a complete load of gonads but you forgot about being nervous and you are on 2 3 4 go.

Either way it should help, just dont tell anyone what you are doing, they may think that you are nutty as a fruitcake.
  8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I can't really add anything to what's already been put, but sod it, I'm gonna steam in anyway. ;)

One thing I can't stress enough is LEARN YOU LINES! It may sound obvious (and I suppose it is to most normal-thinking people), but I had to learn a song in the dressing room while we were tuning up for my first gig. If you do mess up, don't let anyone know - don't stop playing, don't shake your head - just try to pretend you've meant it. Plenty of times, me or one of my bandmates have made (what appears to us) a massive f**k-up, that no-one in the audience has got onto. If you start acting like you've made a mistake, people will know.

And when you get onstage, try not to look too worried. You don't have to bounce around onstage or have a big grin on your face, but at least try to look like you belong up there. Look at John Entwistle - he doesn't always look like he particularly wants to be on stage, but he certainly doesn't look nervous or out of place. As the gig is at your school, try and get some of your friends to turn up - that should give you a boost.

And good luck! :)
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, that's because everybody is too worried about changing their shorts after seeing him play! :)

Congrats on "Moderator" yawnsie!
  10. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    When I played at my school's basketball games for about 1000 people, I was a little nervous. But the nervousness all went away when the curtain abruptly opened, and we started to play! My friend said I was making funny faces, but I guess no one could tell when I messed up. You just have to jump in there and do it; don't think about being nervous, just try to play your best.
  11. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I thought a good way to calm your nervousness is to imagine the audience naked!! LOL! :D

Anyhoo, that's a big thing my teacher brought up to me: If you mess up, don't stop what you're doing! Being a perfecionist, I felt awkward making a mistake and jus moving on and my mistake would just linger in my mind if I didn't correct it. So I would go back to the beginning and start all over again. I still find myself doing this once in awhile but I am improving in not doing it, and trying to forget about it...recognizing it but making myself move on and finish what I'm doing. I reaize the importance of this for when I actually start 'gigging', etc.

Good luck with your concert! :)

12. If you think about having fun, then it'll be much easier for you to have fun. :)
    If you think you're gonna screw up, it'll only increase the chance of your screwing up on stage even greater. Don't think about how badly you play the songs, think about how WELL you can play them. Even if you've only played it once out of the 500 times you've practiced it, concentrate on that one time.
    Basically, it boils down to mind over matter. If you set your mind to playing well and having fun, then not only will you LOOK like your'e playing well and having fun, you WILL play well and have fun. :D:)
  13. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The wise guitarist in my band said that the audience is incredibly stupid and won't notice any mistakes if you pretend like nothing happened. That's one way to think about the problem.:rolleyes:
  14. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    My first Time playing in front of a crowd, I just watched my self play, or like Cliff Burton, just do some heavy headbangin' !!!! if your hair is long enuff you wont have to look at the crowd starring at you...

...all eyes will be on you....
  15. don't even worry about people staring at you...Nobody ever cares about the bass player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
  16. That's exactly why I'm growing my hair out :D I remember when they showed cliff's dad talking about after Cliff's first gig. His neck was all stiff b/c of all the headbanging he did. I had a similar experience at my first concert.. hehe

Well, unless there's another bassist in the crowd or someone who enjoys bass, then you're correct
  17. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada

Unless your Cliff Burton, Les Claypool, Flea....If you wnat people to notice ya, you gotta stand out, do some crazy S*** on bass, and give 'em a reason to stare at the bassist....
  18. take a trip to GC and buy a tiger-skin-print or sparkly strap. people will think you're cooler that way. works for me! ;)
  19. :eek:
    So THAT'S what I'm doing wrong! I KNEW I should've gotten that strap with the spiffy design over this nice & comfy fat leather one! :D
  20. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Carefull playing live is addictive! I love the rush of it its like doing great drugs!