1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help i am new and need to learn bass for a specific song

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by christina1968, Mar 27, 2015.

1. christina1968

christina1968

Mar 27, 2015
    hi guys new to the site and i''m having trouble with a specific song. i need to learn Miranda Lamberts Red Wagon for an upcoming gig. There's a lot of cool little bass runs in it...the guy on the song is playing a stand up bass and i'm playing a four string so won't sound exactly the same...but any help would be awesome.

thx

2. KellyM

KellyM

Jun 11, 2006
    Lynnwood, WA
    In general, what I would tell you is to learn music, not songs. I know this probably sounds snobby and unhelpful, but the intervals in this song are not really very much more complicated than I-IV-V. I know you were probably looking for a magic bullet that would allow you to suddenly "get" this song, but I am afraid I can't give you one. Learn your intervals, start with I-IV-V. You will probably be surprised how easy it will be for you to hear the changes in songs such as this once you do so.

3. KellyM

KellyM

Jun 11, 2006
    Lynnwood, WA
    By the way, upon further thought I realized I had no concept of intervals until I encountered an enlightened music theory teacher in college many decades ago. So if the concept of intervals is new to you, there is no shame in that. I am willing to help, you need but ask. However, I am afraid there is still no "magic bullet" I can offer that will allow you to play this right away.