Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help. I blew my speaker last night

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattdixonlbca, Dec 13, 2003.

1. I had the SWR 350x powering the fender bassman 115 (1x15") cabinet. Not really a good combo as the head has too much power for the speaker. I had to duct tape the speaker for the second set.

My Question is what would be a good replacement speaker for this configuration. And where would be a good place to buy one in time for my gig tommorrow afternoon.

(Im looking for 8 ohms, around 200 watts)

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    anywhere that sells bass cabinets... don't just replace the speaker, replace the whole thing! unfortunately, a quick temporary fix will not be the answer in the end... :meh:

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    and why do you want to keep it at 8 ohms? 4 ohms will give you the full 350 watts and a little more headroom... look into maybe some other speaker configurations (10's/12's) which may be slightly more efficient than your fender 115 was, and most likely have better low-end response as well... particularly if you plan on using your sub-harmonic knob (which is probably what did it in the first place)

4. I never actually use that thing (Sub-harmonic). I need the 15" for the super-depth. I play reggae. I want to stick to 8 ohms because Im going to add a 2x10 to my setup (Im going to go with the swr goliath jr.) which will bring the total impedence down to 4 ohms.

Thank you for you suggestions, but I cant really afford to replace the fender cab on such short notice.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    unfortunately, super-depth requires more headroom... :bawl:

6. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I'd just call all the dealers in your area and find out who has replacement 15" speakers in stock, and ask exactly what makes and models they have. I'd go with Eminence if you can find them - they are just as good as EV and JBL in my opinion, and usually cheaper. Lots of different models listed on www.eminence.com. You pay more for more power handling; I've seen the 300W Delta 15 at $90 online, and the 400W Kappa Pro 15 at $125. Don't get the LF models, those are low-end only for PA woofers.

In a pinch, Peavey Black Widows are also pretty decent - probably the best thing peavey makes, and you don't have to tell anyone what brand it is ;-) I don't know about other brands.

The thing is though, replacing a speaker is kind of a crapshoot. Cabinets are tuned to a particular driver's characteristics, and changing to a different speaker is likely to change the low end response - maybe for the better, maybe for the worse. If possible, go to a dealer who will let you try the speaker in your cab in the store. (Take out your broken driver first and bring your own screwdriver to speed up the process). Drop it in, screw it down (not super-tight yet) and listen to the low end carefully.

7. In that case (about the cab tuning), would you ultimately recomend ordering a replacement of the same driver from fender? assuming time wasn't a factor.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hire a cab to get you through tonight. Then lets hunt around for a speaker that will do what you need it to, without rushing it.

You blew that speaker by feeding it frequencies that are lower than the cab tuning. That's where speaker cone excursion is at it's maximum, and it increases rapidly if you're boosting that area of the EQ (which I'm guessing you did?)

If that cab is anything like my old Fender BXR 15, it's a large cab (200litres or so) with a punchy sound but not warm or deep. BUT, there's enough room on the front face for an 18" spaker. You'd have to cut a bigger hole but that's not hard.

9. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    If time's still a problem, see if you can find a used Peavey 410 cab...they're heavy but sound good and shouldn't be too expensive.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OK I did a net search and that cab is about 160 Litres.

Look at the Eminence Magnum 15LF. It's 15" and will work well in that size cab. Tune it to 37 Hz (which is probably a whole octave lower than the existing tuning) you should get much better results for that reggae sound. It's -3dB at 37 Hz which is much lower than most commercial cabs. And it's a 700w speaker. Cone excursion below Fb becomes less of an issue because your amp won't drive that speaker to it's maximum rating. Just don't clip it.

Not as good but probably cheaper is the Eminence Delta Pro 15. Tune it to 42Hz and it's -3db at 47Hz. Not great but again, probably better than what you had.

If you'd consider an 18, Look at the Adire Malstrom, the Eminence Magnum 18HO, Eminence Sigma Pro 18, or Eminence Omega Pro 18.

11. Im sorry, I dont even know exactly what it means to "tune" a speaker to a given frequency. Are you recomending installing a crossover filter of some kind?:confused:

Thank you all for your suggestions and feel free to keep them coming.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    We're not really tuning the speaker, we're tuning the cab.

See the ports that let the air escape from the cab? They're not random. They're designed to be a certain length and diameter and are therefore tuned to a certain frequency. It's a very important part of the design of a vented cab and has a huge effect on how the cab will respond in the bottom end, both in sound and speaker cone excursion (as you found out).

Generally speaking, any speaker replacement will require the cab to be retuned. The exception to this is if you buy the exact same speaker again.

Does your cab have circular tube ports? Or is it just a hole in the baffle? Or is it a rectanglular shelf type port?

13. mine is the rectangular shelf type

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh man that complicates things. Those things are near impossible to adjust. We may end up having to block it off and install circular ports instead.