Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! I cannot pop with two fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by werbo1, Feb 12, 2005.

1. i can't maneuver a pop with two fingers. What i mean is i want to be able to utilize both of my fingers (index and middle) to slap in a quick succession. Is it one wrist movement with both fingers right after another? How can i be able to pop quickly....its a shame i can somewhat double thumb and not pop quick enough to use the DT

2. there are a couple of ways you can go about this problem.
    Some people will use their wrist and forearm, barely moving their fingers, and pulling off so their fingers just pluck once after the other.
    The other way, which i prefer becuase you get better control, and economy of motion. is to keep your wrist very still and then use your fingers to do all the work. This will probably mean you need to strengthen your fingers a bit. But don't think that just because it's called 'slap' you have to play hard. Plucking hard menas the string is moving around alot more, so double plucking the same string and keeping it rythmically tight becomes alot harder. If your finding this a problem, play a bit more gentle, and roll the volume up a little. :)

3. Use arm movement to do most of the work (if you watch Victor Wooten play, that's what he does), rather than just positioning your hand and then popping with your index and middle finger in succession.

4. Here's a video of the technique go here

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=486316&T=4941

Just download the video anyway enjoy :bassist:

5. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I have this problem as well, to a point.

I often use both, when popping, depending on position, but especially on seperate strings. But using both in succesion, cleanly and consistantly, is damned near impossible. I've tried excercising the technique without much if any gain from it, so I've pretty much just settled into, 'I do what I can do' technique and stick to it. Not that I'm horrible, just not grandious on the big scale of things. It gets me by though.

Troll

6. Does anyone know what notes he hits when he pops? I am trying to hear the slaps with rhythm but I guess it would help if I knew each note he did in time.

7. its aeroplane by red hot chili peppers