Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP, I can't decide!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Jul 29, 2003.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    First off, I used to play ALOT when I was a kid. Now, I'm almost 40, have a family, great career, etc... but find I miss playing. Well, now that I have the means to get the setup I've wanted,,, I need a little advise.

Here's what I'm considering, & if everyone could jsut chime in,, honestly tell me what you'd pick & maybe why,, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh yea, I'm looking for a 5-string, fretted bass. Am willing to spend between $500-$700 USD.
    If there's any thing else that's a good choice, in this price range,,, & I haven't listed please feel free to "write it in"

On to the choices:

1) Ibanez 5-String K5
    2) Fender 5-string Jazz Deluxe w/ Active setup
    3) Warwick/Rockman 5-string Corvette SE

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Out of those choices, I would say the Fender. Only if it is a USA model though. Now, if you want o up your budget to say $1000, your choices open way up. You could get a G&L L-2500, An Amercian Jazz Deluxe 5, Stingray 5, Lakland Skylines, A lower line REAL Warwick. etc.etc. Also, consider ebay and a used axe. You could find a real treasure with a little patience.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you can find used skylines all day in that price range...

check out basscentral.com for some nice skylines or a nice mtd saratoga or heir

steve

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I was actually hoping to stay a bit closer to $500, but kept finding I need to spend a bit more to get something I could be satisfied with.

Just finished scanning ebay, there sure is alot of junk out there. *sigh*

I just don't think I can get the Mrs. to sign off on $1000 for a bass, & then an amp as well. I'll have to get a her a new couch or something... :)

5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    You can often find used Modulus VJ and VJG basses in the $800-$1000 range. If you like the Fender Jazz you will LOVE these.

(buy the couch, too. You'll be OK):D

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    :|

I've never even HEARD of these companies... but that might tell you the last time I looked into this. :(

Modulus, Lakland & Warwick are new to me, but that doesn't mean much. Checking out the Lakland site now... This is getting interesting! bwahahahaha!!

7. MIA Fender Jazz V :D Gotta love thems!

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OK, include the Lakland 55-01 & 55-02 to my choices...

Here's a question for you Lakland fans tho, is the pickup diffs between the 01 & 02 really that drastic?

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    $500?

MTD Kingston. Can be had for about $450, and is one of the best mid priced 5ers out there. I'd throw it up against anything under $1000, and some things OVER $1000.

I only don't have mind because the neck, all said just wasn't my style. That is, wide and thin (I prefer a bit more heft to my necks).

Defintiely a kicker with a easy price tag.

10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Sorry! I didn't realize that you're looking for a 5 string (I misread your post). Forget the Modulus Vintage Jazz, it is only available as a 4 string.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MTD Kingston for around $500, or Lakland 55-01 for around $700. You can get them used for less. Those are the best under $1000, IMHO.

12. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    G&L Tribute L-2500 ($599 Musician's Friend)or a Curtbow ($499 Musician's Friend)
    Or you could get a Essex B205 for $200 and do more research and find out what you really want.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    First off, thx to everyone for the constructive replies. Also, I'm including the G&L Tribute 2500,,, I'll pass on the Cort & MTD's.

So, re-iterating my choices... trying to generate some relative order of preference.

1) Lakland 55-01 (buying into the 35" neck) Maybe a used 55-02, plus I prefer this pick up setup.
    2) Deluxe Fender Jazz 5-String w/ Amer Elect
    3) Ibanez 5-String K5
    4) G&L Tribute L-2500
    5) Warwick/Rockman 5-string Corvette SE

Any other comments?

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    actually the k5 is a nice bass..but it does have the K5 in the board...but o well...magic marker anyone?

steve

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I honestly don't mind the K5 on the board... Not that I'm a huge fan of the guy or anything,,, I like Korn however... I HAVE messed around w/ one for about 10 - 15 minutes, & really liked it.

However, I had an Ibanez back in the mid-80s & the friggen neck warped on me...

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Any other opinions? C'mon folks, I know there's GOTTA be more opinions than this!

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well it looks like you have it down..

i would go for the basses in this order...

lakland
    k5
    g&l
    fender or warwick..its a toss-up

but try to get a 5 string warwick used...you can find them in your price range...on either ebay or here

these FNAs are awsome..i love them...its worth the buy it now
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2547480403&category=4713

these btbs are really nice
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2548144591&category=38080

and one more bass....the czech spectors..just awsome basses..the best for your money...

the finish...everything. they are the bass...

try one out
    if you don't mind falling in love with ot

steve

18. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
  19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    falling in love with ot? please explain.

20. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    OOPPSS..i meant it..hehe

steve