HELP, I can't decide!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Curious why you'd pass on the MTD?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Unfamiliarity & ignorance.

Plus, I just haven't seen any glorious reviews or fan followship regarding thier products,, like I have from the other companies I'm selecting from.

I'm trying to focus my choices, & it was easy to just say to myself (well, I just haven't heard much of this company,,, so, I'll pass). I've increased my selection from 3 to 5 already...

Plus, the MTD Kingston's appearance doesn't appeal to me. The pickguard looks odd, to me.

3. Every band I have played with I used a different bass for. I bought and sold a lot! My longest stint with one bass was a Fender P bass with a 70s cover band. Currently (not in a band right now) I have a 5 string that was made for me and an 80s Yamaha BB1200s that I have seriously altered.

The point being that the kind of music you play and who you play with affect choice of instrument. So. What will you be playing? What kind of sound?

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    Obviously, you haven't tried the search function, because people RAVE about MTD kingstons and Heir5s all the time. Especially in answer to "which bass should i get" which has been asked a hundred times. ;)

but if you don't like the pickguard, i can understand that.

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
  6. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, those things are amazing. Though I can completely undertand the asthetics thing. It's my opinion that they have the better B string and playability than the Lakland Skylines, but that's me. A lot of people prefer the Skyline because of their electronics (active with a 2 band EQ) instead of a single passive humbucker.

And yeah, the pickgaurd is a little weird. I replaced the one I had on mine with a black one, made it look less "odd."

I implore you to try a few. Excellent basses.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    At this point, virtually NOONE has supported my case for the Warwick/Rockbass,, so I'm dropping it...

1) Lakland 55-01 (buying into the 35" neck) Maybe a used 55-02, plus I prefer this pick up setup.
    2) Deluxe Fender Jazz 5-String w/ Amer Elect
    3) Ibanez 5-String K5
    4) G&L Tribute L-2500

The Lakland 55-02 is cost prohibitive, even tho, that's the unit that has me jonesing. If forced to stay w/ a 55-01, I'll probably pick one of the other 3.

Regarding type of music,,, hmm, geez... What type DON'T I play. My tastes vary from Mozart to Metallica. But, when I was learning,, I'd pick guys like Geddy Lee, Steve Harris & Chris Squire to emulate. But, I do like alot of other stuff like Dream Theatre, Al DiMeola, basically,, all sorts.

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the rockbass isn't bad at all....but the 5 strings i don't care for..but 4 yes i love it

steve

9. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I bought a Lakland 55-01 not too long ago, and I love it! I went in with out ever playing one, and I don't regret my decision! The only complaint i have is that i find the bottom cutaway to be kind of uncomfortable... I am sure I could fix this by losing weight (ya right)!

I have played a Deluxe Jazz Active 4, and it is an amazing bass for the price.

Never played a K5 ( I don't think)

G&L's are great basses, and I would get one over a dlx active jazz.

One last thing... I believe you said earlier that you prefer the pup setup on the 55-02? IF you did indeed say that, then I am sure that you would be happy with the kingston Heir. I played one, and I would say that it is a great sounding bass.

I hope i have helped with my imput!

Peace

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i hear the Fender RB5's are amazing... theres one in the classifieds for $800... why hasn't anyone came up with this?

11. The Fender American Deluxe is a great bass, no doubt about it. Warwicks are great basses too.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I love playing my wife's 55-01.:)

[​IMG]

13. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    The RB5 has a great B string.

I have really wanted to get my hands on one of these- and I am sure you can get one used for around $800...

[​IMG]

That thing looks good enough to eat!

14. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinois
    There is a solution to this CLICK HERE

I picked this up over the weekend and it rocks! Gives a nice bio of many of the great American luthiers out there from Azola to Zon and includes some excellent photography. It's a good way to pass the time when on the throne (but I'm afraid it doesn't help the gas much! ;) ).

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Your WIFE's 55-01??? What do YOU play? You sayin its a girly bass? *evil grin*

16. embellisher

No, it's not a girly bass. She bought it last year, but doesn't play much bass.

I play Fender, Peavey, Zon, and Hamer, among other things. The 55-01 works pretty good for my oldies band. I usually play it on at least one set.

17. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    from that list I would pick the 55-02 if you had the money (I prefer the sound of the Joe Osborne Skyline better though). The Tribute L2500 (haven't been able to play one yet) seems to be a really good deal. I would pick those over the fender. From the styles, I would recommend trying to find a decent price on a Lakland Skyline.

18. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    man, i wish my wife had a lakland that i could borrow!

hey embellisher, you have a lot of pictures of outdoor gigs. is that a regular gig? just curious... outdoor gigs are cool.

19. embellisher

We play about twice a month at a local Harley Davidson dealership. That's where some of the outdoor pics are from.

We play other outdoor gigs from time to time.

20. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have the exact same bass as the one in the pic and I love it.