1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help i.d.ing a p-bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Jun 15, 2005.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    earlier i had made a thread about a u.s.a. p bass with p and j pickups that i found at a music go round for $600. when i asked the guy at the counter, he looked up the SN and the computer showed that it was a 1991, but when i look up the SN online, it shows 1999. the SN is N912023. if any1 has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

2. DOH NUT

DOH NUT

Nov 13, 2004
    N9 is '99. They made a "Hot Rod" model around that time that had PJ pickups. If it is, $600 seems fair to me if you like it. Pictures or description of the color might help. I think the Hot Rod P bass came in translucent colors.

3. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    translucent? i remember it being black, but it wasnt a transparent black like my rockbass or anything. just solid black. i remember the upper horn being shaped a little weird for a fender, but that was probably just me. it had a heavy ass fender bridge, and fender-lase sensor pickups. i think i remember there being a special or delux in the official name of it, but the guy wasnt quite sure if he had pulled up the right model, or if this is even a stock fender.

4. DOH NUT

DOH NUT

Nov 13, 2004
    Yeah. Then it IS probably an early 90's P bass. They tried a 22 fret model with a weird, exagerated upper horn, a heavier bridge, thinner headstock, and lace pickups. That was called a P Bass Plus. I think they made those from '89 to around '93 or '94.

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    sweet, that sounds exactly like it. thnx for the help man, i might pick it up soon, and if i do, ill be sure to post pix.

6. DOH NUT

DOH NUT

Nov 13, 2004
    11_1_b.

A thalidomide P bass. ;)

7. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    yup, that seals the deal. the upper horn, pickups, and knobs all match up.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    N912023 is not an early 90s Fender. The neck is a '99 anyway. "91 is N1xxxxxx.

9. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    im going there later today anyway to play it some more and ill see if maybe i got the wrong SN or something...

10. I've got a Precision Plus just like that (natural ash) but with a rosewood board.

re. the neck, the original 1991 neck should have the trussrod access at the headstock and a skunk stripe at the back.

if the neck has trussrod access at the body, and if there's no skunk stripe it's probably from post 1994- a neck from the US Precision Deluxe.

11. bugeye

bugeye

Jun 15, 2005
    Western NY
    Hey I just bought one like that too. It's a '92. It's my first bass. I like it, but I don't have much bass experience to compare it to.

Found a parts diagram, FWIW:
    http://www.21frets.com/database/022.PDF

12. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    hot rods came in black, I almost bought one.....

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think you were right the first time. N9 is '99. Here's what a '93 P-bass Deluxe Plus looks like:

14. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i think doh nut was right with the first picture he posted. it looks exactly like that but black. i didnt get to go to the shop today, cause my parents needed the car. im still confused about the neck though. is it a 91 or a 99? can anyone who has this bass post their SN to help me out?

15. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Interesting! I was just having a conversation about this with a customer earlier today.

Fender used N9 for 1990 and N0 for 90-91. If you look back through the 80's there are plenty of overlapping years like this. For example E0 was used for June of 79 to Dec of 81. E4 was used for Dec 83 to early 88.

And that's why we all love Fender.

16. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    not to doubt you, but can anyone verify this? i just want to make sure i know everything about this bass before (if) i buy it...

17. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    How dare you question me! ;) :D

I just double checked myself in Gruhn's Vintage Guitar guide. Someone else feel free to comment.

18. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i heard about that gruhn's thing from my teacher. is it an actual book, or is it a site?

19. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Book. George Gruhn has a vintage guitar store in Nashville and knows quite a bit about vintage pieces. Some say that no one knows more than he does, but I'm sure that's up for debate ;)

20. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    crap, i was hoping for a link...