Help I.D. jazz bass body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RudeMood, Apr 28, 2019.

1. RudeMood

RudeMood Sadowsky and stuff. Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I recently picked this up pretty cheap. Seller said it's a Fender but didn't know the year. Pick up placement indicates early-mid 70's but could also be a later reissue... MIJ... or an old Warmouth or something. Neck pocket has no identifiers. PU's are Dimarzio. Anyone have an idea how to ID it?

Attached Files:

2. Robert Darby

Robert Darby Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    I don't think its a fender or warmoth. Its hard to tell for sure. It looks like to me it could be one of those relic/road worn types.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Does the back of the body have the two dowel plugs from the pin router?

Jim Carr and Flaked Beans like this.
  4. I don't know if it's me but does that upper horn look a little off, a little longer than usual, in fact does the whole body look a little off?

5. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    Early Fenders had a body date pencilled in one of the pick up routs, usually hard to spot, use a magnifying glass. However the finish looks too thick for Fender nitro and it's been deliberately aged, the red and green pick up wires also point away from Fender as does the wonky pick guard

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Pickguard is a replacement since it doesn't have holes for finger rest and pickup cover and the body does.

Body wear looks a bit unusual to me especially along the upper body edges.

7. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    That is a legit '70-'73 fender jazz bass body. The pickguard is not original.

8. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    It's sad that Jaco is dead, he would say.

9. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Don't know what it is, but it looks awesome.

10. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Poor relic job; the red is supposed to be darker under the pickguard, not completely faded (it should be the other way around). Neck rout is too shallow. Solid color underneath the burst...that’s not how Fender did em. There’s other issues. Without having it in front of me, I’m going with “fake, not Fender at all”

11. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    It has holes drilled for bridge/pick up covers and thumb rest, the position of which suggests an early 60s re-issue, which Squier were doing in the mid 90s

12. Bill Staudt

Bill Staudt Guest

Jun 18, 2002
    Lot's of bad info being handed out by armchair Fender experts here. Proceed with caution.

13. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    Thanks Leo

Gunga Din and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  14. The ground strap route, the pickup routes, the lack of red in the lower horn burst and the four hole neck joint tend to indicate late sixties early seventies, but can't be sure.

15. Valsmere

Valsmere Gold Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2018
    southern NJ
    No clue but could be a neat project

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If the neck pocket fits, and the bridge and pickups line up with the strings once it's all set up, I suggest you not care who made it. You'll never get tons of cash from that, as all you have is a body without a date stamp (that won't be worth much to a collector) - make a musical instrument out of it, and play the darn thing.

17. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Is that pocket routed for a 21 fret neck?

Work looks like MJT.

18. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    This is not true at all... there was no red under the pickguard on Fenders back in the day, they didn't waste the red paint where it would not be seen. This can be famously confirmed on Jaco's bass of doom and any proper replica of that bass.

upload_2019-4-29_10-55-17.png

That said, I am still not convinced that this is an authentic Fender... no noticeable router hump and what can be seen of the burst paintjob does not look quite right. I wouldn't pay a premium price for this but I may consider it for a project if I was looking to build a relic'd Jazz.

If you got it cheap, that's a good thing! Make it a bass and rock out!

Steve88 likes this.
  19. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make.

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Looks really good to me, but I am no expert. It does however, look like it was beaten with a chain. I would rock it.

20. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Agreed. I think it's great.

Frankie Fender likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021