1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help I.D old Kay electric bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Ok i have a possible trade offer of a old Kay bass. Thing is i dont know anything about it or it's value. And i only have some crummy cell phone pic's from the owner.

Here is what i know:)

It's a Kay.
    It's a short scale.
    And it has a bridge cover.

2. Thanks to anyone who can help!

3. Also if there is anything I need to ask the owner let me know!

4. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    By the time this bass was made (around 1970?), Kay was just a brand name put on some of the very cheapest, most poorly made guitars and basses imported from Japan into Europe and US. Nothing to do with the old US Kay music company, which was long gone by that point. I am sure there are exceptions, but these 1970s MIJ Kays are not good quality instruments as a rule. I still shiver at the thought of the very crude, fourth-hand SG copy by Kay that I got as my first guitar in about 1977. Plywood, sounded terrible, neck bowed all over the place, action measurable in inches. The bass in your picture may be a little better, but it is unlikely to be as good as the very cheapest short scale bass you can buy new today.

5. How can you tell it is from the 70's ? The head stock?

6. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    It's just a general impression. The tuners, the body shape, the very basic-looking pickup, the 60s-style thumbrest, the vaguely Fender-ish headstock--it looks typical late 60s/early 70s, before the Japanese manufacturers really began to make serious instruments. But some expert here may know better!

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    QFT

8. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    A Kay made in Taiwan around 1971

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Yup I have an SG bass with the same headstock. It's a fun toy and great piece to noodle with. Other than that it's a sub 100 dollar guitar. Mine was a Teisco I think made in Japan. But they were all imported and rebranded.

10. Wow he valued it at a lot more than that! Glad I came here first!!

11. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    These were the cheapies you buy your kid when taking lessons back in the day to see if they liked it. Stores probably sold them close to cost to make money on lessons.

Edit: Short Scale is an understatement. I mine is a 25inch scale or close to it.

12. Hmm i belive he said this one was 30 inch scale.

13. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Could be. My SG one has the extra roller bridge added which cuts scale.

14. Doesnt change value any does it? Still cheap import bass?

15. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    At that time they were awful . These days there are many inexpensive instruments that are well made .

Better off getting a newer one .

16. Well i will be passing on this bass. So i guess my Kustom stack is still up for sale or trade:(