Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! I dont' have a bass....and I can't get up!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 15, 2001.

1. I had to return my loaner BTB1005 today, the new one that the Guitar Center ordered for me still hasn't come in after a month.

Now I am without a bass!!!!

I looked around town at some other basses, trying to find the right one. Five string basses are tough to buy. There just isn't much in the $1000 - $1300 price range. You can spend $2000 and get a really nice one or under $1000 and get a piece of junk.

At Mars I made the mistake of playing a Modulus VJ4 and almost walked out the door with it. I just sold my Jazz bass to get a 5 string and now I find myself being drawn towards another 4 string that looks just like a Jazz. But man does it sound sweet! I play in church and really need a 5 string to play that good contemporary worship music but that Modulus is calling my name.

Must resist making a rash decision............

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  3. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I've seen that Modulus VJ 4. That is one spectactular bass. If you end up purchasing it, yes you void of the blessed B string, but you will have a bass that will bring you years of enjoyment.

BTW, the one I saw was metallic green with a matching headstock. Truly the coolest "Jazz Bass" I've ever seen.

Bones

4. You play your bass in church ?

woah..
    I'm not a religious man myself, and i haven't been in church for nearly 11 years now, but the last time i remember, there was only an organ... have things changed so much in the past few years, or is the band-in-a-church item an American thingy ??

5. A lot of churchs are moving toward a more modern worship service. We have bass, drums, guitar, piano and nine singers. With that combination we can play anything from soft, deep worship songs to upbeat southern gospil stuff and contempory Christian music. It sounds great. Attend some local churchs and I'll bet you will find one or more with the same type of music ministry.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    AllodoX wrote:

"You play your bass in church ?

woah..
    I'm not a religious man myself, and i haven't been in church for nearly 11 years now, but the last time i remember, there was only an organ... have things changed so much in the past few years, or is the band-in-a-church item an American thingy ??"

Run, don't walk, to your nearest record store and pick up one of these titles by Fred Hammond & Radical for Christ:

* Pages of Life
    * Purpose By Design
    * I Am Persuaded

You will hear wonderful examples of how music in the church has changed and you will hear one of the best (IMHO) contemporary bassists around.

Peace,

James