Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! I don't know what i'm doing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by METALHEAD, Apr 1, 2005.

1. :help:

O.k i've just bought a 6 string bass.

what songs and techniques should i learn?

:help:

2. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    I'd start with Harry had a wholesome ham, and play it with your toes. :p

Hem, Hem.

Harry had a wholesome ham
    that waddled on legs of four
    to bad Harry didn't see
    His ham waddle through the butcher's door.

3. no really please someone help.

4. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    Well, you did ask a very vague question.

Techniques; as far as I know the number of strings doesn't change what techniques you use. Which means the norms: Fingers, picks, slap’n’pop, tapping and so forth.

Songs?
    What bands/artists do you like to listen to?

5. really like bands like maiden and metallica. but im open to nearly anything. at the miniute im trying to get a bit of the blues going on.

6. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    This is your first bass? Need more input!

7. i played guitar 4 a while then i got my sister a 4 string and loved playing it. then the other day i saw my new bass. a friend sold me it for about £300 less than i saw it in a shop 4. he didn't like it. i love it.

8. I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE SOMEONE!!!!!!
    :help:

9. um well, um?

4 what its worth 4 1 2 c......

But really. If you know how to play a 4-strang, then its all about learning the fretboard over again, and teaching your hands how to cope with the new string spacing.

If you are moving to a 6-strang bass directly from a guitar, I'm sorry but I won't advise you there because I don't know.

Good luck

10. i play a 4 string as well so i can play all the songs i lernt before but i want to know any specific songs which use a 6er.

11. By your username, I'm guessing your into metal.

If you are willing to dip your toes into the prog-metal pool, check out Dream Theatre. John Myung will blow you away and keep you very busy for a while :bassist:

12. Ok, this might sound stupid, but... just play.
    you have to remember that the 1st string on a 6-stringer is NOT your E-string like on the guitar...
    usually that will be a low B or a Low C...

so, find your e, get used to the range you already know, and then start exploring the extra tonal range... its all on practice really...

Personally Im a 4stringer, tried 5strings before, just didnt do it for me... I can do all I need to on a 4 stringer, but if you dig it, sweet.

you will, however, most likely be using the standard 4 strings for all Maiden songs and all metallica up until the latest album... Unless you use the extra strings to simplify some basslines in terms of hand movement...

as for the techniques its all the same...
    except maybe things like slap, which could need a slight adjustment in your attack and positioning because of the tighter string spacing than in a 4.

13. thanks any one else specific that i should listen to and learn to play like. specificly 6 string people say les claypool, what songs???

14. Well, keep in mind that you still can play everything you were playing on your 4-string. You know the four standard strings are the middle ones, right?

4-string tuning (low to high): E - A - D - G
    6-string tuning (low to high): B - E - A - D - G - C

I think one of the most important aspects of switching from the 4 to the 6 is to learn to properly mute the strings. Due to its greater mass, the B string has a tendency to easily "resonate" when you're playing the other strings. This phenomenon is called "sympathetic vibration". Try using your plucking hand thumb and the fingers you aren't using to dampen the lower strings.

Another important point is to know when to play that B string and that C string. Too many 5-string newbies get caught in the "Wow, those low notes are cool!" syndrome and end up playing everything in low B, C or D. The result isn't cool anymore: The songs sound muddy and people start feeling their bowels moving. On the other hand, always playing up high leaves the listener (and your bandmates) feeling like you need a bass player. Nothing wrong with a tasty fill here and there, or even an occasionnal solo, but the trick is to know when to do it.

Finally, I think the most difficult part when switching from a 4 to a 5 or a 6 is to get used to a greater number of strings. At first, you'll probably get mixed up (i.e. plucking a string and fretting another). Don't worry, it happens to almost everyone, and this problem will go away with some practice. Try practicing exclusively on your 6 for at least a few weeks and you should be fine.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

15. Jpat

Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    It depends on your style. If you are getting into the blues a lot, just icorporate the new strings into the style. The key is NOT to mimick another person or band. Discover your own style by experimentation. In time it will come to you. :bassist:

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You know, posting in the right forum would have been a good start... moved.

17. ok thanks. is there any recomended books i should buy to have a look at. or would you recomend to just play and pick things up as i go. can you recomend some solos to learn. i can play pulling teeth up to where the drums kick in and the melodic bit in orian on the 4 string. and i've made a really smooth orian offspin using the upper C but i really want something specific to the 6er. any ideas

18. Dont think there is anything REally specific for a 6r out there... 6's are still a relatively new concept... as far as teaching material,etc...

as For studying Les... well... hes a freak... in a good sense, but a freak just the same... has a very unique style that is almost impossible to mimmic... hes very improvisational... try and get the tableture for Tommy the Cat for example to see what I mean... if its well transcribed, if should span over 3 pages, and there are probably a few little details missing... :D

you know, just because you have a 6'r, doesnt mean that you ahve to use ALL the strings ALL the time... look up some Trujillo, some MUSE, hell, some Chilli Peppers... but not THAT many people use 6's as their main instrument...

19. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=2&cat=6+STRING+BASS

6-string Bassics by David Gross is a decent book. I use it for drills. There aren't that many method books out for 6-string bass, but if you're new to the 6, try out the book. It has the notes/scales, tab for possible fingerings (though I tend to not like the default fingerings the author uses), and a CD with recorded exercises.

The Fretboard Alchemy book seems good.

20. thanks. by the way does anyone know any of jason newsteds solo stuff and where i can get it. my friend said he is really melodic and good to listen to and play!