1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help I don't know where to start

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by achangeltbird, Jan 18, 2012.

1. achangeltbird

achangeltbird

May 18, 2011
    Hi, I have planned to build a neck thru bass, This will be my first build and have no idea where to start. Such as what thickness the laminates would be and how big a piece of mahogany do I need to get for the wings, where do I get the materials and plans from. Any help would be great Thanks
    The plan for the bass would be:
    7 ply neck thru four string bass paduak ebony
    or maple and purple heart lams with
    mahogany wings with a flamed maple top.
    Jazz bass with duel action truss rod two carbon fiber rod for stability.
    badass three bridge
    string thru
    with a emg j v set
    and hip-shot d tuner with
    gotoh GB707.
    Thanks for any help

2. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
  3. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Dec 19, 2005
    S.W.France
    +1 I just said more or less the same thing, on the thread above.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    knowing the measures and calculations of the instrument you want to build is critical to even drawing a successful design. If you know nothing other than a parts list you need to do some intensive studying before embarking on a money pit.

Melvyn Hiscocks book as listed above, and Martin Koch's books are invaluable for a beginner to get a grasp on the basics of what is required in making an instrument successfully, and probably $35 that will save you hundreds when you get started.

5. Seph Cameron

Seph Cameron

Jan 17, 2012
    Stroud, UK
    Bloody hell, it seems every thread I read this is relevant. Don't mean to keep plugging it but here -
    Making a Through-Neck Bass Guitar From Scratch
    Not entirely correct, but a decent starting point to get you thinking in the right directions. Also, as has been said, read a book. Books are longer than instructables and go into waaay more detail. Stuff I left out for instance because I thought it was obvious may not be to someone who hasn't researched it properly.

6. achangeltbird

achangeltbird

May 18, 2011
    Thanks all, I have just ordered the book. That will hope ully fill in some gaps.