Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! I don't like the Sansamp..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superfly, Oct 19, 2004.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    :meh: I just picked up a Sansamp Bass driver ,small box version. Its not what I am wanting. I have a SWR 4004 head, and a Peavey 1x15 cab. I seem to have enough power, but I want some more "warmth and roundness" to my sound. I want a warm and round but clean sound. The Sansamp seemed to warm it and round it alittle, but it has too much "tube type drive" to it. I can't seem to get a clean sound using it. Also, I don't like much treble to my sound. Any suggestions?
    Also, does it make any difference in sound if I hook the Sansamp up "stompbox style" or through the effects loop?

Thanks for the info, I am liking it more now!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Use the blend sparingly, I rarely use mine past noon. Past that, it just scoops the sound too much for my liking.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well first off, if you bought it new, you should be able to return it.

Oh, and almost kill the overdrive- it may help.

Ted

4. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    OK, I am liking it more now. I fiddled with settings a bit. The sample settings aren't for me. I just turned the treble down, and "drive" all the way off. Now it sounds much better. And it adds fullness and some warmth to that typical SWR sound. I think I like the active switch on my ASAT turned off in this case.
    thanks.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought those were set up in a way that if you decrease bass and treble, it was the equivalent of boosting the mids.

I was thinking of getting one myself, and use it 'always-on' as my regular sound, but I've heard several times here (TB) about this scoopy sound - as though it's more of a 'special effect'. (Now that I think about it, we are on the 'Effects' forum, aren't we?)...

I tried one out at a local music store. It was into a PA system rather than an amp. I was pretty impressed, but it was rather scoopy - in a way that I suppose could sound impressive by itself, but then maybe get 'lost' when used with a whole band. I didn't take much time with it, but it seemed to go very clean and transparent when I kept the drive (or gain or whatever it was) turned down. The overdrive sound was imressive - that 'Tool-tone' if you turned it up!

Hm...

Joe

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im also thinking about getting one to always leave on. Does anyone do this or does it alter the tone too much for all the time playing?Im just looking for a warm growly tone ,and some Tube fullness. I play through an Ampeg B100r and it sounds nice already but i want to beef it up a little.

7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I use my Bass Driver as a preamp. I go direct to the PA with it. There are a lot of available sounds and you do have to do a lot of fiddling. Boosting the bass and treble does scoop out the mids, but cutting the bass and trble does have the opposite effect. You can get a very authentic tube sound out of it by varying the drive. I usually set my drive just to the edge of distorting and boost my bass' volume when I want a little dirt. The presence control adds a good amount of high end.

I played around until I got the sound I wanted. I joined up with some guys to jam and there is an old Ampeg B12N Portaflex at the rehearsal area. I was amazed at how much the Portaflex sounded like my Bass Driver! ;) Looks like I'm going to be in the market for an old Portaflex soon! :D

8. newdull

newdull Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I keep the Presence rolled all the way off and never turn the Blend or Drive past 12 and that gets me a pretty warm sound.
    Good luck.

9. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    for me the blend control is the key,to get the sound I am looking for ,mostly I keep it between 11-12 oclock.and it works great.
    take care

10. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    What would be more desirable?....
    Using the Sansamp as a pedal effect in line (pre-eq)? , or as an effect using the loop (post eq) ??

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i always use it in front but you could try it in the loop.
    I use my bddi in a few ways. To warm up my swr i usually run with level at unity gain, bass and treble at 12 presence somewhere between 9 and 12, drive under the distortion point, and blend at 12. For a "live at leeds/geddy lee" tone i alter this by putting treble at 10 o clock or so, boosting presence to about 1 o'clock, and pushing drive right to where it begins to distort. As mentioned, rolling the treble and bass to about 10 o'clock or so gets rid of the "scooped" sound, but a lot depends on your bass and your amp. As with any part of your signal chain, experimentation is best. I'm very minimalist and particular when it comes to my signal chain and this is one of the things that has stuck. I don't have it on all the time, but i'ts great to have for an instant tone shaper in between songs.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Try their Acoustic DI. It has a semi-parametric mid control, but no Drive control. It's a little more versatile, tone-wise.

13. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Not trying to steal your thunder or anything, but I hated to start another thread about a BDDI setting.

I have a stringray and a P bass. I have found my perfect setting for the 'ray, but I can't find what I'm looking for with the P.

I want that ballsy clankity clank punk rock bass sound a la Mark Hoppus (blink 182). I just can't seem to find it in the BDDI. I also have an EQ pedal to help.

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I used to have one from a friend and I used to add a little roughness to the sound but also I noticed it compressed my sound but in a very natural and pleasant way. I use it for recording whenever it's available. In fact I'm thinking of changing my amp head to a SansAmp RBI + BBE MaxCom + some power amp.

ANDRUCA

15. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I use my Bass sansamp DI only to the PA, I use the parallel jack to my amp and the direct out to the PA. My amp has a direct out but it's no where near the quality of the sansamp, and limited when compared to the options on the sansamp. To me this is the best use for it. I have tried it in series with several amps and I just don't see the advantage and adding complicated duplication of settings just seems like the wrong thing to do. I love the tone I get though a PA using this device.

I also have an acoustic version and I am looking for the best way to A/B the two of them.

Mike