Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! I don't uderstand how to play this notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tony Canevaro, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Ok. I am working on learning some blues lines and there is a notation I can't figure out. I also saw this notation in "Daytripper" but ignored it.

This is how it looks in TAB:
    ------7-----
    ____/
    --3---------

I know its a slide up from the third fret to the 7th but the note on the 7th fret is played on the nexy higher string. I don't get it. Help. Please.

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

3. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Thanks but no, it didn't help me. I am pretty dense when it comes to this music stuff, but I am determined to learn.

In the book it says the following:
    "Slide up to to the "" note from a lower fret."

I read your despcription but it doesn't describe what they are talking about (at least to me).

Tony

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Is this a tab you've got off the internet?

5. Can't you:

Play the lower string at 3.
    Move your finger to the higher string and start sliding.
    Pluck the string as you slide.
    Stop at 7 (on time).

I tried it now and it seemed to work

6. You could also slide from 3-7 with your pinky and continue with a slide from 3 or 4 to seven on the next string up.

7. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Nope. The one I am speaking about came from "Mel Bay's Famous Blues Lines".

I first saw it in a trancription of Daytripper in Bass Players "Rock Legends" magazine. There are lots of slide up from the 9th fret on the D string to the 11th fret on the G string. The first guy I took lessons from didn't know what to do with it either. He has (at least) a bachelors in Music, teaches music and band in the schools and plays bass in a local band.

8. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Wouldn't they write that something like this then?

--0-------7----
    ______/
    --3------------

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're making too much out of it. Hit the 3rd fret note, slide up to the 7th fret, then hit the note on the next string. The slide is an effect, and it's not supposed to have any particular pitch, nor is it an exact science on how you slide. Just slide.

10. But the 3 and 0 at the same time sound different than just the 3.

This must be the easiest.

Try it like Jimmy says, you slide up from 3 to 7 on the lower string and then move to the 7th fret on the higher string. You are sliding up in pitch, and that is what is intended. It works fine.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - I've read through this thread a few times and was mystified - I don't see what's hard about this...:confused:

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I can sort of relate. When you're new at playing, everything seems mystifying at first. But once you come to the realization that sometimes things are exactly as they seem, then it becomes a lot easier.

Oh, one other piece of advice, Tony...play the recording and play along to it. I'm sure you'll get all the answers there.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - forget about Tab and it all becomes less confusing! ;)

14. It was tricky notation, but we solved it.

15. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Wish that were the case. My ear is absolutely awful, right now.
    Since my ear is so under developed I try and over compensate intellectually. If I can't make sense of it in TAB (I am learning to read music, it is slow and hard but it is getting a wee bit better) then I have REAL trouble translating it to the Bass.

16. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Eventually Bruce, eventually. You didn;t wake up one morning knowing how to read music did you? ;)
    I'm 35, never studied music, or even really been around it much before at all so I have no background to build on. It takes this old dog a long time when it comes to music.

I am striving, I would just like to be able to play something while I'm striving :D

17. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    :D
    Ok Obi-wan I will "just slide".

Thanks!